what kind of algae?

  • Franz
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
      I am farmer.
      My vision of my ideal algae would provide me oil(I grow canola - very difficult to grow successfully), Nitrogen fertilizer (became very expensive - a biological Haber-Bosch process would be a solution)and high protein fodder for pigs(prices for pigs are very low), it would grow it on a soil-water-solution(like in a natural freshwater-pond)without adding nitrogen, in an automated system - easy to harvest.

      1.)Nostoc muscorum(N-fixing). But I didn't found anything about toxic or non-toxic and nothing. Does it contain enough lipids?
      See: http://www.ursprung.at/ursprung/projekte_extern/cyanobakterien/en/index.php

      2.)A several step-process green algae plus purple bacteria(for N-fixing)
      as described here(but here for H2-production)
      http://www.bionik.tu-berlin.de/institut/PosterBiohydrogen2002.pdf
      But it would need N-fertilzer to start green algae.
      The manure of the pigs I really need on my fields.

      3.) Just Chlorella in mixed culture with Azotobacter chroococcum like described here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2140730/pdf/509.pdf
      But is Azotobacter poisonous?

      Whats the best choice? I don't know...

      I calculated a little - a bioreactor is really very expensive even on the really cheapest options.
      LED's are expensive and so on...

      These micro-algae are very fascinating, but not very economically to grow at the moment.
    • Mitchell Heldt
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011

        What do you do with the pig urine?

        Mitch

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
          Yes thats a good nitrogen source

          Regards
          Harshith Sirigeri

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011

            How far are you from Finland?  Can you drive there to see some urine to fertilizer systems?  You can store the fertilizer part as struvite and have a more environmental discharge too.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2011
              Hello!
              Thank you for your answer.
              Struvite - I heard the first time about it. Very interesting!
              That means Urine + Magnesium = Struvite(ammonium magnesium phosphate), am I right?
              At the moment I put wheat straw to the pigs. The urine is soaked up by the straw.
              But it seems that I really have to find a way to collect the urine.
              Thank you again.
              Regards
              Franz

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011

                glad I could make a small contribution.

                Urine + Magnesium Oxide

                Feel free to contact me if you need help implementing a method to harvest the urine.  I am guessing that you would get a liter and a half per day per pig for a 50 kilo pig.

                NASA was experimenting with growing beets in urine.   Due to cutbacks that scientist is now unemployed

                Also, algae grows well in sperm whale feces.   Do you have a source for pig blood to add to the urine to approximate high iron content of whale feces due to underdigested squid?

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2011
                  Franz,

                  It is the objective of this group to develop the cookbook you are looking for.  We have not yet done it.

                  You are invited to help us develop it.

                  Bobby

                  --
                  Toward freedom,