Re: Never be afraid to experiment, you never know what it may lead to

  • Marcel
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 1, 2011
      Dave,

      How does the energy requirement for this set up relate to the energy content of the algae itself?

      Marcel

      --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, aliendave2525 <aliendave2525@...> wrote:

      > I am using my own invention i gave away for free "cracking algae with electricity", I have a new version I have not made yet that has some improvements, I am going to make some drawings of the new version and post it here within 1 -3 weeks. The new version uses concepts of a cyclotron and a tunnel laser in its construction but instead of an electron it uses a -OH ion from cracked water, and it basically collides with the algae at hyper sonic speeds popping the algae shell, like trillions of little micro bullets, I call it the HIMAC (Hydroxy Ion Micro Algae Collider) , you will understand it further when I get the drawings made and posted here. However I think I just shared enough information for some to understand it and go off and patent it and make millions or bury it. Luckily I have no $ so I just give my ideas away, if I had $ I would have kept my ideas.

    • aliendave2525
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 2, 2011
        In the new version do not know yet, it is just in idea stage.
        In the old version rough measurements were around .73 gallons of oil per hour for 1kwh. So around 20 cents/gallon just for the electrical cost of the cracking part.

        There is much room for improvement per this process involved, mathematically in some perfect way the potential could be as high as 36 gal/kwh and maybe more but how to make such improvements and not be too costly in design and in process is still blowing in the wind. Also still have to stop it to clean it out do to oil coating electrodes. So its not perfect yet but things can be figured out to solve many issues. I am just a shmoe with very little $ playing around with this in the yard for fun maybe it leads to something maybe it does not.

        Keep in mind this depends on many factors of the design, and density, and etc..., there is more to it then just sticking wires in solution, my old description from long ago of this was just an old simple test to prove it does what it does. I figured others would have their own creative ways to take it to another level. I am not here selling ready made hamburgers, I am only sharing some carrot seeds.

        Have fun yo all :)

        > How does the energy requirement for this set up relate to
        > the energy content of the algae itself?
        >
        > Marcel
        >
        > --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com,
        > aliendave2525 <aliendave2525@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am using my own invention i gave away for free
        > "cracking algae with electricity", I have a new version I
        > have not made yet that has some improvements, I am going to
        > make some drawings of the new version and post it here
        > within 1 -3 weeks. The new version uses concepts of a
        > cyclotron and a tunnel laser in its construction but instead
        > of an electron it uses a -OH ion from cracked water, and it
        > basically collides with the algae at hyper sonic speeds
        > popping the algae shell, like trillions of little micro
        > bullets, I call it the HIMAC (Hydroxy Ion Micro Algae
        > Collider) , you will understand it further when I get the
        > drawings made and posted here. However I think I just shared
        > enough information for some to understand it and go off and
        > patent it and make millions or bury it. Luckily I have no $
        > so I just give my ideas away, if I had $ I would have kept
        > my ideas.

        >     oil_from_algae-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • youngunbd
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 3, 2011
          I just joined here, I'm looking for a way to produce enough algae to make biodiesel. Through various press release's (mostly in japanese) i would like to recommend DME. Dimethyl Ether should pull the most oil out and if you use it in combination with electric cracking, it may help. the DME can then be condensed in a still for re-use, i think its only at like 80 degrees and 72 PSI that it will vaporize and then cool it

          I would like to see if the combination of the DME and electric cracking will boost oil recovery

          --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, aliendave2525 <aliendave2525@...> wrote:

          > In the new version do not know yet, it is just in idea stage.
          > In the old version rough measurements were around .73 gallons of oil per hour for 1kwh. So around 20 cents/gallon just for the electrical cost of the cracking part.
          >
          > There is much room for improvement per this process involved, mathematically in some perfect way the potential could be as high as 36 gal/kwh and maybe more but how to make such improvements and not be too costly in design and in process is still blowing in the wind. Also still have to stop it to clean it out do to oil coating electrodes. So its not perfect yet but things can be figured out to solve many issues. I am just a shmoe with very little $ playing around with this in the yard for fun maybe it leads to something maybe it does not.
          >
          > Keep in mind this depends on many factors of the design, and density, and etc..., there is more to it then just sticking wires in solution, my old description from long ago of this was just an old simple test to prove it does what it does. I figured others would have their own creative ways to take it to another level. I am not here selling ready made hamburgers, I am only sharing some carrot seeds.
          >
          > Have fun yo all :)

        • Bruce Carroll Lendrum
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
            Young...,
             Sorry but safty reasons I think you need to rethink your post... DME is flashing point is -49 F and mixed with O2 forms peroxides.. It can and will explode.   You are posting this under Never be afraid to experiment.... Do you have a safty hood and Fire proof light switches..Most of the group do not have the needed hoods or working understand of how dangerous this is.. Sorry.. But we need be be safe for the home use..

            I trust you understand most here are not chemist ( Yes I am and have been for some 40+ years),

            Thank-you for your understanding,
            Bruce
            CEO: Lendrum Labortories,LLC

            From Texas A&M University...
            Ethyl ether (a.k.a. diethyl ether, or ether) presents an extreme fire hazard. Ether is highly volatile and has a flash point of -45C (-49F) and a lower explosive limit of 1.9% by volume in air. An open beaker of ether on a lab bench next to a lighted Bunsen burner will ignite. It has a vapor density of 2.5 (air = 1.0); therefore, ether vapors can "fall" from a lab bench to the floor and travel to a spark source which can result in a flashback to the source. Also, vapors can easily accumulate in sufficient concentration in a closed space (e.g. refrigerator) to explode with the slightest spark (e.g. refrigerator condenser comes on). Refrigerated storage does not suppress the formation of ether vapors.

            Upon exposure to air and light, ether tends to form unstable peroxides which will concentrate by evaporation or distillation of the ether and may detonate with a violent explosion when disturbed by shock or friction. The friction produced by simply unscrewing the cap of a container of peroxidized ether may cause an explosion. One incident described in the literature reports that an "empty" 250-cc bottle which had held ethyl ether exploded when the ground glass stopper was removed. Ether from a chemical supplier usually contains an oxidation inhibitor and has a shelf life of two years unopened or one year after the container has been opened. Freshly distilled or uninhibited ether may form peroxides in less than two weeks and must be handled with extreme care. There is no evidence that refrigerated storage will prevent formation of peroxides.

            Ether can be tested for the presence of peroxides as follows:

            ** Add 1 cc of freshly prepared 10% potassium iodide solution to 10 cc of ethyl ether in a 25 ml clear glass- stoppered flask that has been wrapped to protect it from light. Shake for one minute, then let it stand for one minute. Unwrap the flask and view against a white background. Yellow color indicates the presence of peroxides.

            To prevent fire and explosion hazards associated with ethyl ether, follow these precautions:
            1. Purchase ether in a quantity that can be used within twelve months.

            2. Date the ether to indicate the date received and the date the container was opened.

            3. Dispose of ether that is older than one year.

            4. Keep ether in a metal can or amber bottle to prevent its exposure to light.

            5. Store ether in a well ventilated location.

            6. Do not store ether in a household style refrigerator or freezer. To chill ether, use either a lab-safe or an explosion-proof refrigerator/freezer or use an ice bath.

            7. Always use ether in a properly functioning chemical fume hood.

            8. Make sure there are no open flames present when ether is in use.

            9. Consider substituting a safer chemical such as petroleum ether which has a safer flash point and does not form explosive peroxides.

            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
              From EPA on DME.. only  you like papers from Japan

              J Hazard Mater. 2009 May 15;164(1):114-9. Epub 2008 Aug 6.

              Explosion and detonation characteristics of dimethyl ether.

              Mogi T, Horiguchi S.

              National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Tsukuba West, 16-1 Onogawa, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8569, Japan. t.mogi@...

              Abstract

              In this study, the explosion and detonation characteristics of dimethyl ether (DME) were experimentally investigated. A spherical pressure vessel with an internal volume of 180L was used as the explosion vessel. Therefore, tubes 10m in length with internal diameters of 25mm and 50mm were used as detonation tubes. In addition, we compared the characteristics of DME with those of propane since DME is considered as a substitute fuel for liquid petroleum gas (LPG). At room temperature and atmospheric pressure, the maximum explosive pressure increased tenfold. The explosion index (K(G) values), an indicator of the intensity of an explosion, was larger than that of propane, indicating that the explosion was intense. No experimental study has been conducted on the detonation behavior of DME so far, but this research confirmed a transition to detonation. The detonation characteristics were similar to the characteristics of the Chapman-Jouguet detonation, and the concentration range for detonation was from 5.5% to 9.0%.

              PMID: 18774641 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

              LinkOut - more resources

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                yes always need to be safe, and outside of of that DME note by Mr. Young, the process I am referring to entails the electrolysis of water to H2 and O2 and that is a by product, and it would probably do something do the DME as well even without DME the H2 is dangerous as well so be outside, add a bubbler and maybe use it as a heat source or release it high up in to open air outside or add a fuel cell to recover 60-90% of the energy. And as far as I can tell little or no loss of H2 O2 this is why I have become to think the act of the algae cracking is a kinetic action of -OH ion colliding with algae cells, I estimated approximently 50,000 -OH ions collide per 1 algae cell at around 7200 m/s using 12 volts DC not pulsed and 2mm gap between electrodes at 1 amp for a few seconds. basic design info of my old version cell is a 2" x 4" 316 SS negative plate on surface contact with algae water mix, and  2"x 4" 316 SS positive plate on bottom in contact with algae water mix, also allowed time for algae to settle on to bottom plate for increase algae density to maximize -OH ion collisions. So this is way I am suggesting to try in a new version of a better collider type design, keep in mind it is not an atom to atom collider smashing atoms it is an molecule to cell collider so it does not need super high power, it is like 10,000s+ of BB's popping a balloon. Of course this design can be scaled up to any size. I am just testing around with ideas.

                 Sorry but safty reasons I think you need to rethink your post... DME is flashing point is -49 F and mixed with O2 forms peroxides.. It can and will explode.   You are posting this under Never be afraid to experiment.... Do you have a safty hood and Fire proof light switches..Most of the group do not have the needed hoods or working understand of how dangerous this is.. Sorry.. But we need be be safe for the home use..

                I trust you understand most here are not chemist ( Yes I am and have been for some 40+ years),

                Thank-you for your understanding,
                Bruce
                CEO: Lendrum Labortories,LLC

                From Texas A&M University...
> [...]

                > > Keep in mind this depends on many factors of the design, and density, and etc..., there is more to it then just sticking wires in solution, my old description from long ago of this was just an old simple test to prove it does what it does. I figured others would have their own creative ways to take it to another level. I am not here selling ready made hamburgers, I am only sharing some carrot seeds.

              • Chad Gardner
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                  I know you guys can split atoms and fuse molecules, but could someone answer this question:

                  Is it common practice to put algae flakes directly in the processor with the methanol and catalyst, without extracting the oil first?

                  If so, how does one determine how much methanol and catalyst to use, since you can't do a titration test with algae flakes? Or can you?

                  Any info will be helpful.

                  Regards,
                  Chad
                • Bruce Carroll Lendrum
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                    NO, B.Braunii has the oil on the outside of the cells.. Scrub most off
                    with CO2 (SUPERCRITICAL) AND LET THE VALUABLE ALGAE LIVE TO REPRODUCE
                    THE OIL COATING..WOOD ALCOHOL AND ETHENOL ARE VERY TOXIC AND WILL KILL
                    THE CELLS.. ISOPROPANOL AND N-BUTANOL ETC ARE ALSO TOXIC. DRYING TAKES
                    ENERGY...AND KILLS CELLS...

                    BRUCE
                    --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Chad Gardner <gardnerchad@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I know you guys can split atoms and fuse molecules, but could someone
                    answer this question:

                    > Is it common practice to put algae flakes directly in the processor
                    with the methanol and catalyst, without extracting the oil first?

                    > If so, how does one determine how much methanol and catalyst to use,
                    since you can't do a titration test with algae flakes? Or can you?

                    > Any info will be helpful.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Chad

                  • Chad Gardner
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                      I'm making biodiesel. I don't think B.Braunii is suited for that. Or is it?

                      I don't mind killing the cells. I want the oil.

                      I use the sun to dry the algae so energy is not a problem either. I just can't figure out an easy way to get the oil out of the dried algae flakes.

                      Do I have the wrong approach?

                      Regards,
                      Chad

                      To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com
                      From: lendlabs@...
                      Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 01:45:56 +0000
                      Subject: [oil_from_algae] REAL DIESEL OR HEAVY #4 BUNKER FUEL.. MAX ENERGY PRODUCE PER OIL GAL. PRODUCED

                      wrote:

                      > I know you guys can split atoms and fuse molecules, but could someone
                      answer this question:

                      > Is it common practice to put algae flakes directly in the processor
                      with the methanol and catalyst, without extracting the oil first?

                      > If so, how does one determine how much methanol and catalyst to use,
                      since you can't do a titration test with algae flakes? Or can you?

                      > Any info will be helpful.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Chad

                    • Bruce Carroll Lendrum
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                        Chad,
                        Same goes for SVO.. You can use SVO and save 30-50% of the energy
                        needed to convert to Bio-Diesel.. Cheaper to use heavy oils because they
                        have more energy. If you kill the cells are you going to digest the
                        cells to make Methane or H2??????? I should have read into your works
                        you are calling Lipids ;oil.. I thought you were referencing
                        Hydrocarbons. Me Bad...

                        I TALKED TO JOHN BENNAMAN YEARS AGO AND THE IDEA OF BIO-DIESEL IS NOT AS
                        SOUND AS SVO OR HEAVY WTI TYPE #4 BUNDER OIL.. BOILERS ALSO LOVE IT AND
                        THERE IS A HARD TO FILL MARKET IN THE NORTH OF #4 BUNKER OIL FOR
                        HEATING..NO CRACKING NEEDED.. SVO WORKS WILL TOO ESP WITH SLOW TURNING
                        HEAVY DIESEL POWER.

                        THINK I WANT OIL TOO.. PROBLEM WITH DEFINITIONS AS A CHEMIST I THINK OF
                        SVO AS LIPIDS. AS BEFORE WE CAN LOSE UP TO 50% OF THE HEAT ENERGY WITH
                        PROCESSING SO WHY???

                        wrote:

                        > I'm making biodiesel. I don't think B.Braunii is suited for that. Or
                        is it?

                        > I don't mind killing the cells. I want the oil.
                        >
                        > I use the sun to dry the algae so energy is not a problem either. I
                        just can't figure out an easy way to get the oil out of the dried algae
                        flakes.

                        > Do I have the wrong approach?
                        >

                        > Regards,
                        > Chad
                        >
                        > To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: lendlabs@...
                        > Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 01:45:56 +0000
                        > Subject: [oil_from_algae] REAL DIESEL OR HEAVY #4 BUNKER FUEL.. MAX
                        ENERGY PRODUCE PER OIL GAL. PRODUCED

                        > NO, B.Braunii has the oil on the outside of the cells.. Scrub
                        most off

                        > with CO2 (SUPERCRITICAL) AND LET THE VALUABLE ALGAE LIVE TO REPRODUCE
                        >
                        > THE OIL COATING..WOOD ALCOHOL AND ETHENOL ARE VERY TOXIC AND WILL KILL
                        >
                        > THE CELLS.. ISOPROPANOL AND N-BUTANOL ETC ARE ALSO TOXIC. DRYING
                        TAKES

                        > ENERGY...AND KILLS CELLS...
                        >

                        > BRUCE
                        >
                        > --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Chad Gardner gardnerchad@
                        >
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        > > I know you guys can split atoms and fuse molecules, but could
                        someone

                        > answer this question:
                        >

                        > > Is it common practice to put algae flakes directly in the processor
                        >
                        > with the methanol and catalyst, without extracting the oil first?
                        >

                        > > If so, how does one determine how much methanol and catalyst to use,
                        >
                        > since you can't do a titration test with algae flakes? Or can you?
                        >

                        > > Any info will be helpful.
                        >

                        > > Regards,
                        >
                        > > Chad

                      • Chad Gardner
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                          Yes, I meant "lipids". Sorry about the confusion.

                          I need to make diesel. I can't use bunker fuel or raw oil.

                          I want to extract the lipids from algae to make biodiesel, in the same way that I would use vegetable oil to make biodiesel.

                          Any suggestions?

                          Regards,
                          Chad

                          To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com
                          From: lendlabs@...
                          Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 02:33:20 +0000

                          wrote:

                          > I'm making biodiesel. I don't think B.Braunii is suited for that. Or
                          is it?

                          > I don't mind killing the cells. I want the oil.
                          >
                          > I use the sun to dry the algae so energy is not a problem either. I
                          just can't figure out an easy way to get the oil out of the dried algae
                          flakes.

                          > Do I have the wrong approach?
                          >

                          > Regards,
                          > Chad
                          >
                          > To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: lendlabs@...
                          > Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 01:45:56 +0000
                          > Subject: [oil_from_algae] REAL DIESEL OR HEAVY #4 BUNKER FUEL.. MAX
                          ENERGY PRODUCE PER OIL GAL. PRODUCED

                          > NO, B.Braunii has the oil on the outside of the cells.. Scrub
                          most off

                          > with CO2 (SUPERCRITICAL) AND LET THE VALUABLE ALGAE LIVE TO REPRODUCE
                          >
                          > THE OIL COATING..WOOD ALCOHOL AND ETHENOL ARE VERY TOXIC AND WILL KILL
                          >
                          > THE CELLS.. ISOPROPANOL AND N-BUTANOL ETC ARE ALSO TOXIC. DRYING
                          TAKES

                          > ENERGY...AND KILLS CELLS...
                          >

                          > BRUCE
                          >
                          > --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Chad Gardner gardnerchad@
                          >
                          > wrote:
                          >

                          > > I know you guys can split atoms and fuse molecules, but could
                          someone

                          > answer this question:
                          >

                          > > Is it common practice to put algae flakes directly in the processor
                          >
                          > with the methanol and catalyst, without extracting the oil first?
                          >

                          > > If so, how does one determine how much methanol and catalyst to use,
                          >
                          > since you can't do a titration test with algae flakes? Or can you?
                          >

                          > > Any info will be helpful.
                          >

                          > > Regards,
                          >
                          > > Chad

                        • Ron Brown
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011

                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                              Chad,
                              The truckers in West Texas that have used Methanol produced Bio-Diesel
                              have had problems with injectors and filters with he acid concentration
                              of the methanol in the finished products. The group I talked to about an
                              merger ( Delaware ) had problems with the formuation and went out of
                              business with production glitches and cost over-runs. They have yet to
                              get an license to make over the road fuel.. OK only for their farm use.

                              Where are you located.. We are in West Texas and also involved in Wind
                              energy.

                              Best of luck,
                              wrote:

> [...]
                              >

                              > > THE OIL COATING..WOOD ALCOHOL AND ETHENOL ARE VERY TOXIC AND WILL
                              KILL

                              > > THE CELLS.. ISOPROPANOL AND N-BUTANOL ETC ARE ALSO TOXIC. DRYING
                              >
                              > TAKES
                              >

                              > > ENERGY...AND KILLS CELLS...
                              >

                              > > BRUCE
                              >

                              > > --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Chad Gardner gardnerchad@
                              >

                              > > wrote:
                              >

                              > > > I know you guys can split atoms and fuse molecules, but could
                              >
                              > someone
                              >

                              > > answer this question:
                              >

                              > > > Is it common practice to put algae flakes directly in the
                              processor

                              > > with the methanol and catalyst, without extracting the oil first?
                              >

                              > > > If so, how does one determine how much methanol and catalyst to
                              use,

                              > > since you can't do a titration test with algae flakes? Or can you?

                            • Bobby Yates Emory
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 4, 2011
                                Chad,

                                We are not far enough along in learning how to process algae into oil for there to be a common practice.

                                We are still trying to figure out what the common practices should be.

                                Bruce made a good point.  The lipids from algae can be used directly in a diesel.  It requires some alteration of the diesel, but that work you only have to do one time.  If you are going to make biodiesel, you are going to be performing a chemistry experiment with dangerous chemicals every couple of weeks.

                                Don't get hung up on drying the algae.  The standard test for computing the amount of oil in a sample of algae is based on dry weight.  That is solely so the test is accurate and repeatable.  You do not need to dry the algae before you process it.

                                Nobody knows for sure yet, but I think the best way to get the oil out of the algae is reversing the osmotic pressure.  For a fresh water algae, drain most of the water, then flood it with salt water.  Let set overnight.  The next morning, you should have layers of oil, water, and cell debris.  (The cell debris should be usable for animal feed and other profitable uses.)

                                Bobby

                                --
                                Toward freedom,

                                Bobby Yates Emory
                              • Chad Gardner
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 5, 2011
                                  Hi Bruce,

                                  We've produced biodiesel that works in a standard diesel engine. Fuel quality is not a problem.

                                  I'm in Jamaica. We're also interested in wind energy, but our current focus is biodiesel.

                                  Regards,
                                  Chad

                                  To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: lendlabs@...
                                  Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 03:07:35 +0000

                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                  >

                                  > > THE OIL COATING..WOOD ALCOHOL AND ETHENOL ARE VERY TOXIC AND WILL
                                  KILL

                                  > > THE CELLS.. ISOPROPANOL AND N-BUTANOL ETC ARE ALSO TOXIC. DRYING
                                  >
                                  > TAKES
                                  >

                                  > > ENERGY...AND KILLS CELLS...
                                  >

                                  > > BRUCE
                                  >

                                  > > --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Chad Gardner gardnerchad@
                                  >

                                  > > wrote:
                                  >

                                  > > > I know you guys can split atoms and fuse molecules, but could
                                  >
                                  > someone
                                  >

                                  > > answer this question:
                                  >

                                  > > > Is it common practice to put algae flakes directly in the
                                  processor

                                  > > with the methanol and catalyst, without extracting the oil first?
                                  >

                                  > > > If so, how does one determine how much methanol and catalyst to
                                  use,

                                  > > since you can't do a titration test with algae flakes? Or can you?

                                • Chad Gardner
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 5, 2011
                                    Hi Bobby,

                                    I'll give the salt water technique a try. I'll let you know if it works.

                                    Regards,
                                    Chad

                                    To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 5, 2011
                                      Sounds like they forgot to wash their biodiesel. there should be no
                                      methanol in the finished product.

                                      --

                                      Steve Spence
                                      Renewable energy and self sufficiency
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 5, 2011
                                        Steve,
                                        Correct.. but the group in Midland,Tx have it all going correct I have
                                        heard.. They make and sell real world class equipment.. It is all about
                                        money ..
                                        Just a thought,
                                        Bruce

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 7, 2011
                                               Chad,

                                               In interesting thought has occured to me:  Instead of trying to remove the oil from the algae, we could put it to direct use.  I have set dtied algae chips on fire.  They burn extremely well. because of their oil content.  If we could put together a big Stirling Engine, and xonnect it to an electrical generator, we could bypass the extraction step entirely.  Before I finalized the business plan for Aquatic Resources Farming, one option that we explored was the use of algae oil as SVO with a diesel generator, selling the electricity back to the grid.  I penciled it out, ant it came out profitable, so this might be a way to go.  This should work with dried or pelletized algae chips, or even with algae paste.  In the late '70's, I built a gasifier that combined kerosene and water to produce what used to be called "water gas", around the turn of the 20th century.  The heat of the flame caused the hydrogen and oxygen in the water to combine with the hydrocarbons to form a flammable gas, and algae paste usually contains about 10-15% water.  So algae paste would probably burn well, too.

                                          --=rsb
                                          Ron Brown
                                          07Apr2011
                                        • Chad Gardner
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 7, 2011
                                            Hi Ron,

                                            Thanks for your input.

                                            Due to government policy in Jamaica, by law, only one company has the rights to sell electricity. We do not have net metering and it is illegal for anyone else to sell electricity.

                                            Therefor, we must sell fuel instead. I need to be able to produce oil that can be converted to biodiesel. Otherwise, I don't have a product that I can sell.
                                            Burning the algae doesn't solve my problem. I need to extract the oil from it.

                                            Regards,
                                            Chad

                                            To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 7, 2011
                                              Chad,
                                              I am a bit unsure about your stance that diesel power can not use SVO.
                                              The Solvent extracted D. Salina I did some years ago was a very light
                                              oil. I did see a paper from India several years ago where then ran an
                                              MB truck and car on SVO from D. Salina rather then bio-diesel.. Sounded
                                              like it worked well to me.. Also have you looked at Behind the meter
                                              power system to save money with generation.. I bet your power is very
                                              costly.

                                              We you going to show they system in the USA to investors??? If so you
                                              might want to check out Bio-Diesel 123 in Midland,Tx...Their system
                                              works well with cotton seed oil.

                                              wrote:

                                              > Hi Ron,
                                              >
                                              > Thanks for your input.
                                              >
                                              > Due to government policy in Jamaica, by law, only one company has the
                                              rights to sell electricity. We do not have net metering and it is
                                              illegal for anyone else to sell electricity.

                                              > Therefor, we must sell fuel instead. I need to be able to produce oil
                                              that can be converted to biodiesel. Otherwise, I don't have a product
                                              that I can sell.
                                              > Burning the algae doesn't solve my problem. I need to extract the oil
                                              from it.

                                              > Regards,
                                              > Chad
                                              >
                                              > To: oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com
                                              > From: potrzebie44@...
                                              > Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 13:59:06 -0700
                                              > Subject: Re: [oil_from_algae] Making biodiesel from algae

                                              > Chad,
                                              >
                                              > In interesting thought has occured to me: Instead of trying to
                                              remove the oil from the algae, we could put it to direct use. I have
                                              set dtied algae chips on fire. They burn extremely well. because of
                                              their oil content. If we could put together a big Stirling Engine, and
                                              xonnect it to an electrical generator, we could bypass the extraction
                                              step entirely. Before I finalized the business plan for Aquatic
                                              Resources Farming, one option that we explored was the use of algae oil
                                              as SVO with a diesel generator, selling the electricity back to the
                                              grid. I penciled it out, ant it came out profitable, so this might be a
                                              way to go. This should work with dried or pelletized algae chips, or
                                              even with algae paste. In the late '70's, I built a gasifier that
                                              combined kerosene and water to produce what used to be called "water
                                              gas", around the turn of the 20th century. The heat of the
                                              > flame caused the hydrogen and oxygen in the water to combine with the
                                              hydrocarbons to form a flammable gas, and algae paste usually contains
                                              about 10-15% water. So algae paste would probably burn well, too.

                                              > --=rsb
                                              > Ron Brown
                                              > 07Apr2011

                                            • Nathan Alberti
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 15, 2011
                                                i know im a bit late for this. but i should have elaborated more. It all should be done in a closed system, DME is used in aerisol cans, it disapates in teh atmosphere with little danger, thats why its used. if it wasnt safe then it would be used in household products.

                                                It should be done in a closed system, the entire distillation process is closed and all containers are sealed, you dont want it to be leaking out otherwise you will be constantly buying it

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 16, 2011
                                                  http://www.oilgae.com/club/users/emily/blogs/427

                                                  i should have elaborated and linked the article in the first place. Read that