I'm back with updates

  • jmneissa
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
      Hey guys long time, well I posted here last year depicting my experimental algae setup and while I have not post here in a long time the show has gone on. My setup has not changed much since the begining but you can clearly see the differences in culture densities from the picture I have posted here. First, for all who are not familiar with my setup I currently use 2 liter soda bottles running air lines into them to bubble 24 hours a day. I operate two florescent light bulbs overhead on a 12 hour cycle. I grow two stands of algae BB and PC. My findings indicate that both are very good oil producing strains however in my personnel opinion BB is much easier to work with.BB maintains a much more homogeneous mixture unlike PC were the chunks settle on the bottom. Under my current conditions PC is also much more expensive for me to maintain because of the expensive salt that is required in the growth medium. BB also has the distinctive advantage of the oil is trapped in bubbles outside the cell membrane. If a process was developed with these will outside the cell membrane could be extracted without harming the organism BB would be one the top species of algae for biofuel production. While I am located near Boston Massachusetts and therefore the Atlantic Ocean which one would say is an adequate supply of saltwater the salt water contains many impurities and other strains of algae which would contaminate my cultures. I have not been able to find a cost efficient method of purifying this water of contaminants while At the same time not removing the necessary salt. My main reason for posting however is I plan to expand the algae lab in my basement. My new plan is to purchase multiple cheap shelving units from my local Home Depot, along with these new lighting fixtures to provide adequate light for multiple tier structures. For each new shelving unit it is designed to carry approximately 100 gallons of cultures. With this I will greatly increased production of oil from a current level. Also in the summer months I plan to excavate a small area of land in place multiple stock tanks which are commercially available allowing for a capacity of approximately 1000 gallons of cultures at any given time. With this large increase in the amount of raw algae I will also need to improve the harvesting and extraction system. Currently I use a modified Soxhlet extractor and a rotovap for oil extraction. While the system is very efficient in small volumes in the larger scale I am proposing I believe it would not be as efficient. My goal is that by the end of this coming summer I will have produced one 55 gallon barrel of pure refined algae oil. I realize that this is any means a very extreme goal however I believe we have large enough culture tanks and good weather it is possible. If you ladies and gentlemen see any obvious problems or improvements to this setup please post. Thanks!
    • Bobby Yates Emory
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
        JMN.,

        Unless there is something I don't understand, there is no need to get stock tanks that are more than 10 inches deep.  Given that, there may some other product that will meet your needs  If nothing else, price out a exterior framework of 2 X 10s with a inexpensive plastic liner.  I would try for a 10 mil black plastic.  Check out what sizes of plastic are available before you build the frames

        Caution - I have not priced stock tanks - they may be cheaper.

        Bobby

        --
        Toward freedom,

        Bobby Yates Emory
      • jmneissa
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
          Bobby thanks for the advice i never thought about doing it that way but now that you have brought it to my attention I will definitely be looking into that. Thanks!

          Matt

          --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Bobby Yates Emory <liberty1@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > multiple stock tanks which are commercially available allowing for a
          > > capacity of approximately 1000 gallons of cultures at any given time. With
          > > this large increase in the amount of raw algae I will also need to improve
          > > the harvesting and extraction system. Currently I use a modified Soxhlet
          > > extractor and a rotovap for oil extraction. While the system is very
          > > efficient in small volumes in the larger scale I am proposing I believe it
          > > would not be as efficient. My goal is that by the end of this coming summer
          > > I will have produced one 55 gallon barrel of pure refined algae oil. I
          > > realize that this is any means a very extreme goal however I believe we have
          > > large enough culture tanks and good weather it is possible. If you ladies
          > > and gentlemen see any obvious problems or improvements to this setup please

        • Sam Crowe
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 2009
            On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM, jmneissa <jmneissa@...> wrote:
            BB also has the distinctive advantage of the oil is trapped in bubbles outside the cell membrane. If a process was developed with these will outside the cell membrane could be extracted without harming the organism BB would be one the top species of algae for biofuel production.

            The Catilin Process is making that claim now, using nanoparticles to extract oil without killing the algae.  While they talk about the benefits of not killing the algae, I'm not sure it will be as economic as killing/reproducing would be for the DIYer.

            Sam

            .