Re: [oil_from_algae] Where to get a start of Algae...

  • Venkata Pallakila
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 22, 2009
      Hi,

      We are Aquaculture Professional team group having tremendous experience in Algae and  Hatchery Operations Expetise.  Now, We are into Algal start up for  Algal Laboratory to  mass scale in one of our hatchery premises and also to develop Cluster groupings.

      Before starting the project, I would like to gather some valuable suggestions from elite Oil from Algae yahoo group members.

      1. Targeted Algal Candidate Species - Botryococcus braunii
      2. Laboratory:  which includes
           a). Required Temperature:
           b). Lux Light period and duration
           c). Growth Medium: Which one is good either  CHU-13 or Bold Basal Medium. Its composition, how much percentage of water with medium mix?

      3. Outdoor Culture: Preferably Algal Pond Raceway Systems
        a).Inocculum
        b).carbon source: how much quantity of carbon mix rate?
        c) Pond dimensions:
        d) Period of outdoor Culture
        e) Algal dry wt:

      4. Harvest: Indigenous methodology, time to harvest, how to harvest, and its process.

      5. Any buyers for our produce in Global Perspective?

      Please kindly throw some light in the above question. so that we can start healthy discussion that can be workable practically in our operations.

      Thanks in advance

      Regards,

      Venkata Pallakila
      E-mail: venkatmarine@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 4, 2009
        Venkata Pallakila
        If you want Race A.. Makes Gasoline,#1( aka jet Fuel) and #2 diesel then
        Order from UT Austin LB572.. I have two extra Samples of this in
        reserve..
        if you want Race B.. We can sell you BL009 at the Cost of $1,000 per
        1000ml some times in May 2010.. this is very slow growth and is grown
        with pure gases in a glove box.. Yes this does not cover cost.. it is
        grown in about 200 days from one cell in very special media using 0.2
        micro filters and pure gases..we do check every bottle to be sure it is
        free of anything except B. Braunii Race B..Clone BL009..as before I lose
        a lot of money. use CHU-13 this is enough for 10 L for media.. it must
        be sterial and keep under glove box systems and you must filter the box
        and all introduced gases.. It is very easy to distroy the product as
        B.Braunii is very weak growing and other alga are not.. B.Braunii BL009
        does produce a lot of oil.. Diesel and lubercating oils ( 30 Wt)..unless
        you crack Good Luck
        I do not know who has Race L. (makes very heavy oil)
        Regards,
        Bruce
        \Lendrum Labs
        --- In oil_from_algae@yahoogroups.com, Venkata Pallakila
        <p_venkatavardhakrishna@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > We are Aquaculture Professional team group having tremendous
        experience in Algae and Hatchery Operations Expetise. Now, We are into
        Algal start up for Algal Laboratory to mass scale in one of our
        hatchery premises and also to develop Cluster groupings.

        > Before starting the project, I would like to gather some valuable
        suggestions from elite Oil from Algae yahoo group members.

        > 1. Targeted Algal Candidate Species - Botryococcus braunii
        > 2. Laboratory: which includes
        > a). Required Temperature:
        > b). Lux Light period and duration
        > c). Growth Medium: Which one is good either CHU-13 or Bold Basal
        Medium. Its composition, how much percentage of water with medium mix?

        > 3. Outdoor Culture: Preferably Algal Pond Raceway Systems
        > a).Inocculum
        > b).carbon source: how much quantity of carbon mix rate?
        > c) Pond dimensions:
        > d) Period of outdoor Culture
        > e) Algal dry wt:
        >
        > 4. Harvest: Indigenous methodology, time to harvest, how to harvest,
        and its process.

        > 5. Any buyers for our produce in Global Perspective?
        >
        > Please kindly throw some light in the above question. so that we can
        start healthy discussion that can be workable practically in our
        operations.

        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Venkata Pallakila
        > E-mail: venkatmarine@...

        http://in.yahoo.com/trynew

      • Ron Brown
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 16, 2009
        • 1 Attachment
        • 266 KB

        Our foam flotation device consisted of one large funnel at the

        bottom (to collect the bubbles), connected to a large cone at the

        top (to hold them) by a three foot tube.  Attached to the upper

        cone was the discharge tube, which fed into a collection bucket.

        One shop vac was used  to provide air to a lawn sprinkler below

        the surface of the algae culture.  A second shop vac was to blow

        air into the discharge tube, to break the bubbles and direct the

        output into the collection bucket.  We lowered the pH of the 300

        gallons of algae culture from 6 to 2 by adding 6 or 7 cups of

        muriatic acid and started the shop vac.  A four foot column of foam

        was produced.  Due to the unfortunate pkacement of the discharge

        tube, not much foam reached the discharge tube.  The second shop

        vac did not even have to be started.  Even so, one or two ounces

        of green stuff was harvested to the collection bucket.  Placement

        of the discharge tube 6 to 12 inches lower would probably result

        in adequate performance.  We re-alkalinized the algae culture

        using sodium carbonate, and the algae was not harmed.  In the

        future, we plan to use calcium hydroxide (lime) to avoid the

        formation of sodium chloride.  It seems that we need smaller

        bubbles and more airflow, as well.  In addition, a re-reading

        ofthe research report (Harvesting of Algae by Froth

        Flotation,Gilbert V. Levin, John R. Clendenning, Ahron Gibor, and

        Frederick D. Bogar,Appl Microbiol. 1962 March; 10(2): 169–175.)

        pointed out a basic misunderstanding on our part:  While we were

        only attempting to create a column of foam, the original

        researchers used a column of algae culture which had a column of

        foam floating on top.  In spite of this failure, we still feel

        that this process could serve our purposes.

        ---rsb
        Ron Brown
        16NOV2009

      • Brian
        Message 4 of 10 , Nov 20, 2009
          Mr. Brown,

          This is a good topic to research for harvesting algae. It makes sense to follow common procedures used in wastewater treatment facilities. After screening out larger debris, a froth flotation stage is commonly used. For this, it's necessary to make leftover material aggregate (using a coagulant or flocculant), then use micro-bubbles to latch on to the aggregates, lifting them up to the surface, where it can then be skimmed off. With algae, you can see anywhere from 1 to 5 percent solids. You still need to use a spray-drier or a centrifuge. There is alternative technology to these methods, but for anything but large scale, a centrifuge makes sense.

          I will wager that you are right, your bubbles are too large. You will need to compress the air and use a micro-bubble (specific) air sparger to create the bubbles that you need.

          You are also missing a coagulation/flocculation (aggregation) step. For experimenting, you can increase pH to 10 with caustic soda (NaOH), then inject microbubbles.

          Increasing the pH to 10 will cause detrimental effects on your algae, so for large scale harvesting, switch pH increase with a well-mixed polymer (most of which will still result in additional ash content to your finished algae product, and check the MSDS to make sure there are no harmful chemicals. Typically a wastewater plant will use alum or another coagulant. Accepta may have some safer alternatives (http://www.accepta.com/water_treatment_chemicals/coagulants.asp)

          I say get some microbubbles and increase the pH and try again to see if this helps. Picking a coagulant can be a long and expensive process, so try the pH adjustment first to see if you're achieving the desired results. If you use NaOH, make sure you don't go above a pH of 10, since flocculation peaks around 10. Above that, your floc's will break up.

          -brian