Re: Beginner setup, help and advice needed

  • jmneissa
    Message 1 of 49 , Apr 2, 2009
      Hey so its me I am back home now all is growing well I have 2 cultures of PC in 2 liter bottles running under 24 hr aeration and 12 hour sunlight. Should I do this or 12 hour aeration? What I am stuck on is how much algae there needs to be before I harvest? Right now there are a few clumps of small size floating around by the aeration. I agitate by hand occasionally to try and brake them up a bit to allow greater surface are. Is this good? Should I add more nutrients to the solution? It has been about 3 weeks since I started the culture. What is ballpark time frame you would guess for harvesting? I will post pictures in about 30 mins. Thanks!
    • Bobby Yates Emory
      Message 49 of 49 , May 3 10:01 PM
        Jim,

        Even though the culture was very dark and you could not see through it, each individual algae cell is so small that you will not get much out a 2L bottle.

        You will need to go to a larger scale to product enough oil to power your car.  My guess is a quarter acre.  But the 2L bottles are important for learning, experimentation, and practice.

        If you have $100,000 for a flow cytometry (SP?) machine, you could track the growth of your culture.   Baring that, you should make a Stecchi disk, so you can track the growth of your cultures.

        Bobby

        On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:25 PM, jmneissa <jmneissa@...> wrote:

        Okay guys well it has been a long time since I have posted something here. I have harvested my first tank a couple of days ago. It was so dark that I could not see anything inside of it while it was still very runny I successfully managed to get approx 5 gr of dried algae. Is this a good amount of algae for a 2L bottle? Something I have noticed so far is that to produce any amount of usable fuel you really have to go on the large scale just doing 2L bottles will not be able to power any car for a sufficient amount of time. I will keep chugging along and I have begun construction of 2 outdoor portable raceways ponds to culture in the warm summer months that we are now starting to feel!

        --
        Toward freedom,

        Bobby Yates Emory