Afrika Whale-Watching

  • maui444
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 7, 2001
      So many factors count in our favour making South
      Africa ideal for whale-watching.<br><br>We offer
      visitors some of the best land-based whale watching in the
      world. For instance, we have the highest diversity of
      whales along our coast - which means that in any one
      spot we have the most number of species one can
      see.<br><br>Also countries such as Canada, Argentina, Australia,
      New Zealand and, increasingly, Europe and Japan, have
      become popular destinations for whale
      watchers.<br><br>But whale watching in South Africa is not simply
      viewed in terms of the proverbial golden goose. In fact,
      when South Africa hosted the annual conference of the
      International Whaling Commission for the first time in 1998
      members were "blown away" by the country's holistic
      approach to whale watching.<br><br>We look at sustaining
      research and education in addition to developing marine
      and coastal management. We also support the
      enforcement of laws aimed at preventing abuse of our natural
      resources.<br><br>There are more than 37 types of whale and dolphin that
      can be watched through-out the year. June to November
      is Southern Right whale season. During this time
      they can be spotted anywhere along the east and west
      coast although they concentrate in the southern cape
      between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth.<br><br>Other whales
      visit the coast at differ times of the year while yet
      others, like Bryde's and minke whales, can be seen all
      year round.<br><br>During the December holidays,
      tourists can expect to see humpback whales somewhere along
      the coast because between November and January these
      whales leave their breeding waters off the coast of
      Mozambique to migrate south along the South African coast.
    • maui444
      Message 61 of 61 , Feb 25, 2002
        How close to shore?<br>Within a 100 yards in many
        cases, if the water is deep enough.....<br><br>How
        many?<br>The traditional belief is that there's around 1500
        Humpback Whales that congregate each year near Hawaii
        during their wintering from Alaska. We try to do a
        census but you know that's not gonna be too acurate
        because you can't count things hiding away in the ocean
        depths too easily. Probably safe to say somewhere
        between 1500-3000 Humpback whales visiting Hawaii now.