Re: [ohiobph] Re: winter backpacking advice

  • w b
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009

      Good advice. I agree with everything u said.The hand warmer advice is great I usually us them to keep my feet warm in the sleeping bag. In Boy Scouts our ScoutMaster always had us boys eat half of a Hershey Bar right before we went to bed (in the winter) I cant remember the reason why but I have carried that tradition and I very rarely get cold.
      Have Fun Happy New Years
      Bill

    • William Comer

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
          I left out one important thing. ALL or at least your vital water containers should be wide mouthed so you can scoop out slush if the water gets to that point. One more thing, adding something like gatoraid, gukinaid, whatever to a container of water will lower it's freezing point ( think antifreeze ). Not a great amount but it will sometimes make or break having to deal with slush to drink some days. Tim can explain the principals of how it works but it does help. Know that.
        • Chuck B.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
            --- In ohiobph@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <bferriot@...> wrote:

            > Great questions! I hope we can help...
            >

            > Here are some more really important tips for staying comfortable
            > sleeping in cold temps...1) wear a hat to bed - this keeps a lot of
            > heat in. 2) be sure to use a good ground pad, preferably a closed-cell
            > type pad. Even if you have an inflatable, a closed cell under or on
            > top of your inflatable adds a lot of warmth. 3) through a few hand
            > warmers in your kit - just in case ;)
            >
            > Anyone else have any tips to share?
            >
            > ~Frenchy

            It's interesting what you learn... I was always taught to completely
            change clothes before turning in. NEVER NEVER NEVER wear damp clothes
            to bed. It was said that the perspiration in your clothes will kick in
            after you fall asleep and your metabolism slows, and you will wake up
            all damp and chilly. I've generally followed this advise in cold
            weather and ... when I did, it worked! And I have waken up clammy at
            3am when I worm my hiking stuff in the sack. But it files in the face
            of Bill's advise of taking damp clothes to bed to dry them out. But
            also; I've read a number of people in Backpacking and Backpacking
            Light that say the same thing; take damp stuff into the sack. I'll
            have to give it a try. (Or watch someones else.)

            You can zip up your (dry?) jacket/fleece layer and put it neck-down in
            the bag. It adds another layer around your lower half, (the part your
            body will sacrifice to keep your brains warm) and you have a nice
            toasty jacket to put on in the morning.

            The warm hat is a big thing with me; I guess hair cover could be a
            factor. I have a Columbia vinal/fleese Elmer Fudd hat that comes out
            when the frost is forecasted. It looks pretty dumb, and it's kind of
            big, but it's light. I've forgotten it take it and have been sorry.
            It's an easy thing to overlook, but I find that the hood on the
            sleeping bag isn't enough.

            Also, a "winter bag" often has some baffles with draw stings in it.
            Tightening these up a bit will keep all the warm are from getting
            pumped out of the face opening every time you roll around.

            Sorry I haven't gotten out with you guys, really thought I would have.
            I've got both them boys in collage now so my excuses are getting thin.
            But there's so much to do. I did a few metric centuries on the bike, a
            two-day kayak on the Ohio River, and a hike/bike trip to Ohippyle with
            she-who-must-be-obeyed. I want Kayaking with a local group just
            yesterday on the Little Miami(but *I* didn't do any rolls). I've been
            doing a 8 - 10 over at the Cinci Nature center about once a week;
            joining all the loops into a parameter walk, and sometimes when it's
            really wet I do generally paved 10 mile around East Fork. You can get
            in some let work on the dam. I'd be up for some Cincinnati-area day stuff.

            Chuck
            watching the 2009 calender