Re: [oftheearth] Lughnassad Festival: Call for Workshops and other Information

  • Nicholas
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
      I have a bunch of Rosemary that can be used for the soap making if you
      are interested in that scent / herb. I can provide fresh or dried
      Rosemary. I just harvested the Rosemary for the dried. There is a lot.

      I can also provide a small amount of Sage, either the kind you eat or
      the kind used in smudging, if that would be of interest. Again, I have
      both dried and fresh.

      I assume that dried is best for soap making, but I do not actually know.
      Maybe the fresh is what is used?

      I also have a small amount of Tarragon which is aromatic, and White
      Cedar. Also, I am beginning to grow Lavender in larger quantities -- is
      it the leaves of Lavender that are used, or the flowers? I will think
      about whether anything else I have is aromatic -- oh yeah, the Mints and
      Lemon Balm.

      Given the context of the workshop, maybe only one flavor of soap is
      practical. That's cool. Regardless, if you are interested in using any
      of these herbs, let me know.

      Oh yeah ... I understand that essential oil is also added in soap
      making, and may be preferred. So, what I am saying here is like "adding
      to the options" for what its worth.

      All the best
      Nicholas
    • Misty Wolfe
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
        I am not sure about rosemary. The last soap I made with rosemary kinda smelled like pine-sol. = ) I don't think I will be able to have each person scent their own soap like I mentioned before because I just remembered the hot process soap actually sets up and becomes solid very quickly. I don't think there will be enough time to scent the soap after the whole batch is divided up. The usual method is to scent the whole batch before it is divided. That being said  if people want to take home a sample of the soap it will have to be all one (or possibly two) scents and any herbs we put in the soap will have to mix well with whatever scent we decide to make.

        Dried herbs are best. Something like lavender (I have lavender essential oil) or maybe the mint or lemon balm would be great if you would like to bring that.  My mom really likes to put calendula flowers in soap because they have a nice aroma and are also very good for skin. But I don't know if you have any of that. My plan is to take a popular vote on what scent every one wants and make the whole batch that scent so I really couldn't tell you what herbs would be best to bring.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2009
          Sounds good ... I have to agree that Rosemary is pretty intense. I know
          that it is good for hair and skin, but I think it is used in small
          quantities ... I am thinking of harvesting one set of Lavender blossoms
          this year, but there are not enough to scent the soap, just make it have
          purple specks ... I will dry some Lemon Balm and some Mint -- I have
          both Peppermint and Spearmint.

          I do have some Calendula growing in my garden but I do not think it will
          be in blossom in time. I will keep track of it and see what happens.

          I understand what you mean by scenting the whole batch the same; and
          agree that taking a popular vote would be a good idea. I will bring
          what I have to add to the list -- the herbs will be perfectly good for
          other stuff if not used for the soap.

          Nicholas
        • Nicholas
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009
            Okay ... I have the Lavender done. It is not much, but if people are
            interested, it can add a bit of color and subtle lavender scent to the
            soap ... in addition to whatever else. The blossoms actually turned the
            tips of my fingers slightly purple.

            Since Lughnasadh is still a wee bit of a ways off, there is a small
            chance that some of these Calendula plants that self-seeded in my
            gardens will have some blossoms. I will work toward the idea of some
            dried blossoms if at all possible.

            There will be plenty of Mint and Lemon Balm, but I will not bring
            Pennyroyal which is not good for pregnant moms.

            What other workshops are in the planning for Lughnasadh? We have Dorothy
            and we have soap making ... though it was not my intention to connect
            the Corn Husk Doll making workshop with Lughnasadh when I mentioned it
            on this list earlier, it is worth consideration now that I pause and
            think about if for a moment.

            Oh yeah.... are Lavender leaves used at at all? I know they have plenty
            of scent too. Hmmmmm...

            Here is a link to a lovely web site with cooking recipes that use
            Lavender and a variety of herbs ... they are really cool recipes.

            http://www.lavenderfieldsfarm.com/default.asp?parent=76&child=76

            Nick
          • Gabriel Decanis
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009
              The flat green leaves from lavender are great for vacuuming after they've been dried.  Simply sprinkle the dried flowers on your carpet, walk 'em in a little, and vacuum them up when you're done.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 9, 2009
                Chuckle... Ironically... I have done this very thing; with other herbs
                too.... in fact, vacuuming ought to be at the top of my list these days,
                lots of crunched herbs fall around my carpet just when I walk by ;o)

                All the best
                Skye