Looking for Information about family of Joseph Cassidy, Kilmore Co Armagh

  • mcthomson@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2012
      Many thanks for accepting my application to join the Cassidy Clan Group.

      My Gran, Rebecca (Ruby) Cassidy, was born in Co Down in 1907 but she always knew very little about her Irish roots, including anything about her parents.

      I have been trying for a while now to find a bit more about her Irish family before it's too late for her two surviving daughters to know more about their mother than she knew of herself.

      Gran was brought here to Scotland and was left in the care of others by the time she was 3 (not entirely sure about the connection of the "friends" to the family). Her mother (Ann/Annie Arnott Cassidy) died in 1912 when she was 5 years old and her father John Cassidy had walked out of her life by the time she was about 12 (not entirely sure of timescale). It's believed that John went to England & remarried but the next time my Gran heard about him (again unsure of the timescale but most likely between the wars) he had apparently died in an accident and his second wife was looking for money to bury him!

      The information I have found so far is that John Cassidy was the son of Joseph Cassidy and Rebecca White who married at Kilmore Church of Ireland, Co Armagh on 9 August 1872. At the time of the marriage and John's birth Joseph was a Butcher. As far as I can tell as well as my G Grandfather John (born Clonroot, 2 Oct 1879) they had a further 4 children:

      Elizabeth was born 20 August 1873
      Joseph jr born 16 April 1875
      James Henry born 1877,
      Robert John born 1881.

      These Births were all found registered on the Richhill Civil Parish records.

      John married Ann(Annie)Arnott at Ballydown Presbyterian Church in Banbridge on 26 September 1905. Ann was born in Tullyear, Banbridge 20 Dec 1869 which made her about 10 years older than her husband. My Gran always beleived there was a family rift but not sure what about so I am wondering if the 10 year age gap may have played a part.

      I've been unable to find any 1901 census returns for them in Ireland although I have found John & Annie on the Scottish Census return for 1911 when they were living in Dunfermline, Fife while their daughter was living miles away in Armadale, West Lothian with an Irish family called Thompson.

      In the 1901 Census return there is a 24 yo Joseph Cassedy living with his mother Rebacka who is 62 but am not sure if this is the Joseph jr I have in my tree.

      If anyone thinks they may have any information they think may be relevant to my search I would be delighted to hear from them.

      Thanks for taking the time to read this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Marjory Cassidy Thomson
    • mcthomson@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2012
        I have just discovered that Joseph Cassidy was a Widower when he married Rebecca White and that his father Thomas was a farmer. He was residing in Drummard Primate Kilmore at the time of this second marriage.

        In searching for Joseph's first marriage (not been able to find anything so far) I came across a marriage for a Thomas Cassidy who's father is named as Joseph and am reasonably certain this could a son from his first marriage, it would also mean that Joseph would have been considerably older than his second wife Rebecca.

        Thomas married Sarah Jane, daughter of Isaac Hewitt, in 1867 and had 11 children, 7 of whom were still living in 1911. The only children I've found any records of are: John 1867, Isabella 1869, Mary 1873* , Joseph 1874*, Isaac c1875, twins Mary Jane (Minnie)& Ann Margaret (Annie)1877, Thomas George 1881, & Sarah c1888. *These children may have died in childhood as no record of them to be found on census records.

        By 1911 Isaac Cassidy was living in Union Street, Portadown Urban and had been married to Rachal (sic)for 3 years and had a 2 year old son Norman Union Street, Portadown. Thomas George Cassidy,was living in Foundry street, Portadown Urban) & had been married to Elizabeth for 7 years they had 2 sons, Victor aged 4 and Thomas John aged 2.

        If any of these names ring a bell with anyone I would be delighted to hear from you.

        Marjory