Re: [officialcassidyclan] Cassidy's in Canada

  • Eileen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 6:07 PM
      Thank you, Rhonda.  I don't know enough about ancestor Edward Cassada/Cassity b.ca.1828 "near Montreal Canada"  d.1888 Wisconsin to know where in Canada he was from.  He seemed to show up in WI about 1875, married within a year and worked in lumbering until an accident injury became fatal.
      Family lore said he had a "first wife/family in Canada" and the visit by his son John who was a young adult in 1888, seems to support that.  It is suspected that the first wife died in Canada and perhaps the surviving children of the first marriage were adults before he came to WI.   I have not been able to locate him w/any certainty in Canadian census records.       Could you please advise me if the two farming places you mention are near Montreal?   I cannot locate them on my maps.  Our Edward's parents were born in Ireland and he was born in Canada, so they were apparently early 1800's emigrants. Edward named his first child by 2nd wife, James Phillip and other sons were named Nathaniel(prob after his 2nd wife's side) Edward and Thomas.    Thank you.   eileen

      Message 2 of 5 , May 18 12:23 AM

        Hi Eileen

         I am so sorry it has taken so long to reply I have been out of town on vacation and I came home to a full inbox of e-mail.

         Yes both towns I mentioned are just north of Montr�al about and hour or so. In Montr�al they have a geneology library if you know some of the names or towns or churches where they lived it helps. There is a lot of information to sift through.The books can not leave the library but you can photo copy any thing you like.

         I hope this helps and if we are connected maybe we can piece it together.

         Let me know if you need any more info on Montr�al. I did photo copy a few pages but wasn't sure who fit with who.

         Rhonda

        From: "Eileen" <frngdwlr@...>
        To: <officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [officialcassidyclan] Cassidy's in Canada
        Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:07:06 -0500

        Thank you, Rhonda.  I don't know enough about ancestor Edward Cassada/Cassity b.ca.1828 "near Montr�al Canada"  d.1888 Wisconsin to know where in Canada he was from.  He seemed to show up in WI about 1875, married within a year and worked in lumbering until an accident injury became fatal.
        Family lore said he had a "first wife/family in Canada" and the visit by his son John who was a young adult in 1888, seems to support that.  It is suspected that the first wife died in Canada and perhaps the surviving children of the first marriage were adults before he came to WI.   I have not been able to locate him w/any certainty in Canadian census records.       Could you please advise me if the two farming places you mention are near Montr�al?   I cannot locate them on my maps.  Our Edward's parents were born in Ireland and he was born in Canada, so they were apparently early 1800's emigrants. Edward named his first child by 2nd wife, James Phillip and other sons were named Nathaniel(prob after his 2nd wife's side) Edward and Thomas.    Thank you.   eileen

          I am looking for information about the Cassidy's who immigrated to
        Qu�bec from Ireland and were farming in the area of Farrellton and
        Alymer. I have been to the grave yard there and took pictures of the
        headstones and tried to write down what was readable on them. I have
        also been to the genealogy library in Montr�al Qu�bec which has
[...]

        CassidyCassidysNorthern ireland
        United statesEthnic clothingEthnic food

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Peter Cassidy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18 6:40 AM
          Hi all:

          I beleive there is a Cassidy family connection with an
          island near Montreal (Ile St. Pierre?). Apparently the
          island was populated by francophone veterans from the
          Frencn English war 1756 to 1763, otherwise known as
          the capture of Quebec.

          The conncection may also be through the Lavoie branch
          of my family. Apparently my grandfather, a Richard
          Cassidy, who would have been born around 1880, had
          married a Gertrude Lavoie from Ile St. Pierre, a
          francophone with an aboriginal background. I believe
          there is a history of Irish and French in Quebec
          marrying and yes, some Cassidys would have lived near
          Montreal.

          --- Rhonda Cassidy <rrcassidy@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------

          Hi Eileen

          I am so sorry it has taken so long to reply I have
          been out of town on vacation and I came home to a full
          inbox of e-mail.

          Yes both towns I mentioned are just north of Montréal
          about and hour or so. In Montréal they have a
          geneology library if you know some of the names or
          towns or churches where they lived it helps. There is
          a lot of information to sift through.The books can not
          leave the library but you can photo copy any thing you
          like.

          I hope this helps and if we are connected maybe we
          can piece it together.

          Let me know if you need any more info on Montréal. I

          From: "Eileen" <frngdwlr@...>
          To: <officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:07:06 -0500

          Thank you, Rhonda. I don't know enough about ancestor
          Edward Cassada/Cassity b.ca.1828 "near Montréal
          Canada" d.1888 Wisconsin to know where in Canada he
          was from. He seemed to show up in WI about 1875,
          married within a year and worked in lumbering until an
          accident injury became fatal.
          Family lore said he had a "first wife/family in
          Canada" and the visit by his son John who was a young
          adult in 1888, seems to support that. It is suspected
          that the first wife died in Canada and perhaps the
          surviving children of the first marriage were adults
          before he came to WI. I have not been able to locate
          him w/any certainty in Canadian census records.
          Could you please advise me if the two farming places
          you mention are near Montréal? I cannot locate them

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------

          Peter J. Cassidy

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Eileen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 20 9:07 AM
            Thank you, Rhonda.  What I mentioned is all that I know on this ancestor, Edward Cassada/Cassity.  I've guessed that his Father's given name was probably Edward or James and his son James' 2nd name Phillip must come from Cassity side to.  Did you find record on any Cassitys with those given names born ca 1800 or earlier in Ireland?   I appreciate any help you can give me on this.  I am really stuck.  I live in WI so a visit to Montreal library  is out of the question for me.  Eileen
            From: "Eileen" <frngdwlr@...>
            To: <officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com>
            Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:07:06 -0500

            Thank you, Rhonda.  I don't know enough about ancestor Edward Cassada/Cassity b.ca.1828 "near Montréal Canada"  d.1888 Wisconsin to know where in Canada he was from.  He seemed to show up in WI about 1875, married within a year and worked in lumbering until an accident injury became fatal.
            Family lore said he had a "first wife/family in Canada" and the visit by his son John who was a young adult in 1888, seems to support that.  It is suspected that the first wife died in Canada and perhaps the surviving children of the first marriage were adults before he came to WI.   I have not been able to locate him w/any certainty in Canadian census records.       Could you please advise me if the two farming places you mention are near Montréal?   I cannot locate them on my maps.  Our Edward's parents were born in Ireland and he was born in Canada, so they were apparently early 1800's emigrants. Edward named his first child by 2nd wife, James Phillip and other sons were named Nathaniel(prob after his 2nd wife's side) Edward and Thomas.    Thank you.   eileen