Cassidy Tipperary - Fermanagh connection?

  • Lorna D
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 28, 2009
      Hello Cassidys and other distant relatives, I wonder if anyone could help me out here please?

      My mother was a Cassidy from Tipperary, b. circa 1954, died circa 2006, (sorry, I have a mental block for dates and anniversaries)

      I remember she told me once that her father Thomas Francis Cassidy inherited some land in Fermanagh through some relatives but he didn't take it on. it then passed on to a relative of his [maybe a cousin] called Clinton.

      I've heard vague things about Clinton's Irish roots and the Cassidy name, is it possible there could be a blood relation in there?
      is there a family tree that links the Tipperary Cassidys to the Clintons of Fermanagh?

      Apologies if this has already been discussed, i'm fair new to this family tree lark !

      Thanks for reading :o)

      Lorna Dean
    • russell.cassidy@sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009
        Response to Lorna Dean

        Lorna, it is great that you are making use of this wonderful web page on our grand clan history.  All Cassidy's (once known as O'Caiside, and back to the ancient times when the Clan was known as the Oirghialla branch of the Laigin tribe) can be traced to what is now  Fermanagh County in Ireland. Your search for what happened has a good chance of success because 1954 is such a short time ago and records are accurate for these recent times. No doubt your mother was referring to the Clinton clan as being related and your interest may stem from the former President of the United States by that surname. Many internet sources will confirm his attachments to the Cassidy Clan via his maternal side.  Good luck with your new found genealogy hobby..regards...Russ Cassidy, CANADA

        To: officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009

          Yes, Virginia Cassidy.  I actually corresponded with the Clintons about Cassidy geneology when Bill was in office, they were interested at the time but didn’t respond personally or anything, they were kind of busy.

          Hehe.

          JC

          To: officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com
          From: tickled_egg@...
          Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 04:13:38 +0000

          Hello Cassidys and other distant relatives, I wonder if anyone could help me out here please?

          My mother was a Cassidy from Tipperary, b. circa 1954, died circa 2006, (sorry, I have a mental block for dates and anniversaries)

          I remember she told me once that her father Thomas Francis Cassidy inherited some land in Fermanagh through some relatives but he didn't take it on. it then passed on to a relative of his [maybe a cousin] called Clinton.

          I've heard vague things about Clinton's Irish roots and the Cassidy name, is it possible there could be a blood relation in there?
          is there a family tree that links the Tipperary Cassidys to the Clintons of Fermanagh?

          Apologies if this has already been discussed, i'm fair new to this family tree lark !

          Thanks for reading :o)

          Lorna Dean

        • Dearing Margaret - mdeari
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009

            Actually, Bill’s grandmother was a lady named Elizabeth Cassidy.  I’d have to go look at the book he wrote to get all the parents, grandparents, etc., correct.  Virginia was Bill’s mother and her maiden name was not Cassidy.  Her mother’s maiden name was Cassidy, and she came from the County Mayo / County Galway area where my family originated.  We laughed that we must be related.  I am from Arkansas, also.  My Irish ancestors immigrated to the United States in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, and dad moved to Arkansas during World War 2 when he met my mother at a USO dance.

            To: officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com
            From: tickled_egg@...
            Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 04:13:38 +0000

            Hello Cassidys and other distant relatives, I wonder if anyone could help me out here please?

            My mother was a Cassidy from Tipperary, b. circa 1954, died circa 2006, (sorry, I have a mental block for dates and anniversaries)

            I remember she told me once that her father Thomas Francis Cassidy inherited some land in Fermanagh through some relatives but he didn't take it on. it then passed on to a relative of his [maybe a cousin] called Clinton.

            I've heard vague things about Clinton's Irish roots and the Cassidy name, is it possible there could be a blood relation in there?
            is there a family tree that links the Tipperary Cassidys to the Clintons of Fermanagh?

            Apologies if this has already been discussed, i'm fair new to this family tree lark !

            Thanks for reading :o)

            Lorna Dean

            privileged.

            communication is strictly prohibited.

            of it from your computer system.

            Thank You.

          • Jim Casady
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009

              Yes, Virginia Cassidy was Bill’s mother.  I only had a little information about his Cassidy lineage before that, a couple of names and a photo or two and like I said, the Clinton’s letters to me were not personal-in terms of giving me information directly-the first one was a form letter and the second one, while not a form letter, just addressed what I wrote to them, expressed interest and appreciation, and that one was hand signed.  Actually, I didn’t think much of it at the time…I mean I was very happy to get any kind of response, but it was almost certainly just handled by the secretarial pool.  MAYBE they actually looked at what I sent personally, but who knows.  At best it was probably just a glance.

              JC

              To: officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 29, 2009
                You are correct Jim. My dad is personally acquainted with Bill Clinton. We live 25 miles from where he was raised and my dad served in the state senate during the time that Clinton was governor of Arkansas. He and Bill discussed the Cassidy/Cassady connection many times. His mother was Virginia Dell Cassidy and that was her maiden name, not Clinton's grandmother's. She was convinced that our families were related but after studying his family tree, if we are, it was most likely before the families came to the US.

                Virginia's dad was James Eldridge Cassidy, born in Arkansas in 1898. His dad was James M Cassidy who was born in Cofee, Alabama in Nov 1855. He was the son of George Washington Cassidy who was born 1829 in Chestefield County, SC. His dad was Levi Cassidy also born (1790) in Chesterfield, SC. As I understand it, it's not known for sure who Levi's father was, but he's the one that immigrated to the US from Ireland, sometime before 1790.

                --- In officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Casady" <jcasady@...> wrote:

                > Yes, Virginia Cassidy was Bill's mother. I only had a little information
                > about his Cassidy lineage before that, a couple of names and a photo or two
                > and like I said, the Clinton's letters to me were not personal-in terms of
                > giving me information directly-the first one was a form letter and the
                > second one, while not a form letter, just addressed what I wrote to them,
                > expressed interest and appreciation, and that one was hand signed.
                > Actually, I didn't think much of it at the time.I mean I was very happy to
                > get any kind of response, but it was almost certainly just handled by the
                > secretarial pool. MAYBE they actually looked at what I sent personally, but
                > who knows. At best it was probably just a glance.
                >

                > JC

              • nualacw
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Can I suggest that those of you wishing to claim relationship to Former Pres. Bill Clinton or his ancestors, should know that we do have a DNA proven group in the Official Cassidy Clan, DNA Project.
                  This group descend from Benjamin Cassidy, brother of Levi, in Chesterfield, South Carolina.
                  "Speculated Truth" written by Brent Cassidy, Secretary of the Official Cassidy Clan, is a DNA proven member of this SC group and it gives a great insight into the history of this family.
                  "Speculated Truth" can only be bought from the Cassidy Clan website www.cassidyclan.org

                  - In officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com, "pjmclaug2001" <pjmclaug@...> wrote:

                  > You are correct Jim. My dad is personally acquainted with Bill Clinton. We live 25 miles from where he was raised and my dad served in the state senate during the time that Clinton was governor of Arkansas. He and Bill discussed the Cassidy/Cassady connection many times. His mother was Virginia Dell Cassidy and that was her maiden name, not Clinton's grandmother's. She was convinced that our families were related but after studying his family tree, if we are, it was most likely before the families came to the US.
                  >
                  > Virginia's dad was James Eldridge Cassidy, born in Arkansas in 1898. His dad was James M Cassidy who was born in Cofee, Alabama in Nov 1855. He was the son of George Washington Cassidy who was born 1829 in Chestefield County, SC. His dad was Levi Cassidy also born (1790) in Chesterfield, SC. As I understand it, it's not known for sure who Levi's father was, but he's the one that immigrated to the US from Ireland, sometime before 1790.
                  >

                  > --- In officialcassidyclan@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Casady" <jcasady@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Yes, Virginia Cassidy was Bill's mother. I only had a little information
                  > > about his Cassidy lineage before that, a couple of names and a photo or two
                  > > and like I said, the Clinton's letters to me were not personal-in terms of
                  > > giving me information directly-the first one was a form letter and the
                  > > second one, while not a form letter, just addressed what I wrote to them,
                  > > expressed interest and appreciation, and that one was hand signed.
                  > > Actually, I didn't think much of it at the time.I mean I was very happy to
                  > > get any kind of response, but it was almost certainly just handled by the
                  > > secretarial pool. MAYBE they actually looked at what I sent personally, but
                  > > who knows. At best it was probably just a glance.
                  > >

                  > > JC

                • Pam McLaughlin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30, 2009

                    Can  you tell me how to participate in this DNA project?  I had my brother do a DNA test a few months ago but so far we’ve found no Cassady/Cassidy matches.