F.W. Cassidy's WWI Victory Medal

  • Jim Casady
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2008

       I am happy to report that F.W. Cassidy’s WWI Victory Medal is safely in hand here in Minnesota, and it is truly a treasure.  Just beautiful, with a patina of age that gives it a cast which is quite remarkable.

      Now that we have the medal in our possession, I would like to open up a discussion about its future disposition.  While I would happily just keep it for myself, I would like to see that it ends up in the hands of its rightful heirs, or at least is returned to a suitable spot, such as a historical museum near Frederick’s lifetime home.  And, while the cost was relatively inexpensive at $130.00, I would be grateful for any family members who might like to contribute to the acquisition and eventual transfer to the medal’s permanent home.  Of course, while it is in my possession I will photograph and document it the best I can.

      Special thanks again to Russ for letting us know about this remarkable Cassidy Clan historical artifact before it disappeared forever into the hands of an anonymous collector.  And Russ, thanks for the information you sent me about your family, I am looking forward to spending some time going through it and continuing our correspondence.

      Regards to all,

      Jim Casady

    • Jim Casady
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2008

         My wife and daughter, along with some friends, will be visiting Ireland in late January and perhaps into February; the itinerary is not complete yet; my daughter Lauryn Casady will be performing with the Hamline University A Capella Choir in England for ten days, then she and two of her choir mates are coming to Ireland.  My wife Kathy and Lauryn’s High School vocal teacher, Janet Moe, will be touring Ireland with her sister, who lives in southern Ireland at Ballyknockane.

        Lauryn has been to Ireland before and was able to tour the country, hosted by her aunt’s fiancé, Tony Sheedy; she is looking forward to a return visit and will be staying with two of her college friends in Dublin for a couple of days and then going to Ballyknockane.  I believe she intends to tour the University of Galway and will revisit the University of Limerick, as she plans on studying at one or the other during the 2009-2010 school year.  I know that she also wants to revisit our family’s historical haunts and do a little of her own research on the Cassidy family, as well as several other Irish ancestors.

        I wanted to ask if one (or more!) of our cousins in Ireland might wish to meet her sometime during the trip, I know that would mean a great deal to Lauryn.  Like me, she feels a special kinship with the Cassidys of Ireland and our ancestral home.  Although I have never been able to make the trip back home, I am very grateful to be able to send my daughter and have her feel such a bond with her ancient roots…and I fear (in some ways!) that she may never want to return to the U.S, in which case I will have to move the remainder of the family lock, stock and barrel to Ireland.

        So please, if anyone might have the time and wish to meet a Cassidy relative or two from Minnesota soon, please let me know!

        Thanks,

        Jim Casady