Searching for my Cassidy ancestor in County Kildare, Ireland

  • cassidy_jack
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2008
      Hello members - I have been searching for my Cassidy ancestors in
      Ireland without success. Very recently, we discovered early Cassady
      papers in a cousin's family bible that provides information suggesting
      that my Cassidys possibly originated in County Kildare, Ireland.
      Some background on my Canadian Cassidys. Two Cassidy brothers, John and
      James arrived in Pictou, Nova Scotia in what is now Canada in the late
      1780s and early 1790s. I am descended from James, Both brothers married
      in Pictou and both named their first born son -JAMES- suggesting,
      perhaps, their father was named James. In the 1817 Pictou census, their
      name was spelled CASADY.
      The bible information of a son of James is a note from Nova Scotia
      vital statistics for the years 1769-1812 of the marriage, in Ireland,
      of a James Cassady of County Kildare, age 67, to a Mary Strandling or
      possibly Stardling, of Counry Waterford, widow, age 75. I suspect this
      is a second marriage given James age and Mary's age. The Marriage was
      performed by a Dr. Burke, Roman Catholic Priest on the 12th of May. The
      year if not given, but I estimate the year about 1790 based on the
      known date of birth of a possible son John Cassady (1757) and assuming
      father James' probable age range at his first marriage, if there was a
      first marriage. BECAUSE THIS 1790'S MARRIAGE OF JAMES AND MARY WAS
      AMONG MY FAMILIES BIBLE NOTES, I HAVE TO BELIEVE IT WAS SIGHNFICANT AND
      PERHAPS THIS JAMES WAS THE FATHER OF MY JOHN AND JAMES FROM AN EARLIER
      MARRIAGE.
      Searching the Mormon site, IGI, for Kilbride marriages, provides a
      possible James Cassidy. "a James Cassady married a Mrs. James Cassidy
      (no name given) about 1757 in Kilcock (Kildare Parish?), Kildare,
      Ireland. My Cassidy brother, John, was born in 1757. Also, a James
      Cassidy was born in Kilcock in 1723 and married a Mrs. Cassidy.
      Questions: Would there be a record of a Dr. Burke of Kilcock, Kildare
      who performed marriages in the 1790's, perhaps in a parish church?
      Would there be marriages in the parish back to the 1750s?
      I would welcome all comments and advise on how to follow up on this
      information.

      Sincere thanks for any and all responses.

      Jack Cassidy, Ontario, Canada