Kahuna Series Part 2

  • F.R.E.O.M.M.
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 16, 2008
      3/16/08 Aloha Ka Kou! May there be friendship and love between (among) us!

      We have discovered we don't have an email font that allows us to properly write Hawaiian. The plural for Kahuna, for example is Kahuna with a horizontal line over the first a. We realized this when we got back last week's newsletter missing the proper marks. Which is why we will now write Kahunas instead for the plural instead of the proper way. Also, in the Aloha Ka Kou greeting above, there is a horizontal line for the 'a' in Ka. So sadly you will be missing the correct spelling on several terms.

      Max Freedom Long begins his book The Secret Science Behind Miracles with these words: �This report deals with the discovery of an ancient and secret system of workable magic, which, if we can learn to use it as did the native magicians of Polynesia and North Africa, bids fair to change the world.�

      Max Freedom Long arrived on the Big Island of Hawaii in 1917. A scientist and psychologist, he took a job as a teacher so he could study the active volcano Kileauea (still active today, by the way). Fascinated by what he heard about the kahuna, but unable to gain any real knowledge of or about them, he moved to Honolulu (on island of Oahu) 4 years later and sought out the curator of the Bishop Museum Dr. William Brigham.

      Only after Dr. Brigham felt assured of the young man�s qualifications, sincere interest and promise not to break his confidence did Dr. Brigham say: �For forty years I have been studying the kahunas to find the answer to the questions you have asked. The kahunas do use what you have called magic. They do heal [with magic]. They do kill [with magic]. They do look into the future and change it for their clients. Many were impostors, but some were genuine. Some even used this magic to fire-walk across lava overflows barely cooled enough to carry the weight of a man.�

      Stunned, Max Freedom Long asked, �How do they do it?�

      Dr. Brigham laughed � loudly and long. Then he said, �Forgive me. The reason your question struck me so funny was that I have been trying for forty years to answer [that] myself � without success . . . . Just because I�ll never know the answer is no reason you will not. . . Keep everlastingly at it. No telling when you might find a clue.�

      After trying for years in vain to find that clue Max Freedom Long left the islands in 1931. Then in 1935, he awakened in the middle of the night with an idea that the Kahuna must have had names for the elements in their magic or they could not have handed down their lore from one generation to another and as the language they used was Hawaiian the names must be in that language. He writes: �And, as the missionaries began making the Hawaiian-English dictionary as early as 1820- the one still in use � and as they certainly had not known enough about the native language to describe that magic, it was obvious that any attempted translations [they made] would have been either faulty or entirely wrong. The Hawaiian language is made up of words, which have been built from short root words. A translation of the roots will usually give the original meaning of a word. Presto! I would find the words used by the kahunas in recorded chants and prayers, and make a fresh translation of them from the roots.�

      A great idea and he later discovered the right idea except, in Mr. Long�s words: �Given this certainly that the kahunas had known for thousands of years all the psychology we had come to know in the last few years, I became quite sure that their ability to perform feats of magic stemmed from their knowledge of important psychological factors not yet discovered by us. It soon became apparent that, in naming the elements of psychology and placing in their word roots symbol meanings to point to related elements, the kahunas of the dawn days had done a superb job. The only great stumbling block was the fact that the symbol words stood for elements whose nature I could not imagine.�

      Stymied, he wrote a report on his findings and the Kahuna Lore in general (Recovering The Ancient Magic, published by Rider and Co., London, 1936). A year later an English journalist named William Reginald Stewart wrote him to say the magic he had written about was the same magic he used by a Berber tribe in the Atlas Mountains of North Africa. The Hawaiian words used by the Hawaiians were the same, except for dialect differences, as those used to describe the magic used by their �magicians�. [The Hawaiian word kahuna, for example, was quahuna in their �magic� language and the word for god was akua in Hawaiian and atua in their �magic� language.]

      Mr. Long writes: �As the Berber tribes spoke a language not at all related to the Polynesian dialects, the discovery of the similarity of the magic and the language used to describe it offered definite proof that the two peoples had either come from the same original stock or had been in contact with each other in ancient times.�

      After much persuasion William Stewart got himself adopted by Lucchi the �magician� of the tribe and she began teaching him the magic she used �beginning with her explanations of legendary tribal history, in which it was related that twelve tribes of the people having kahunas, once lived in the Sahara Desert when it was still green and fertile land of flowing rivers. The rivers dried up, and the tribes moved into the valley of the Nile. While there they used their magic to help cut, carry and place the building stones of the Great Pyramid. At that time they were rulers of Egypt and topped all others because of their magic. . . it was foreseen that a time of intellectual darkness was due in the world, and that the secret of their magic was in danger of being lost. To preserve it, for it was as precious as it was secret, the twelve tribes decided to hunt for isolated lands to which they might go to preserve the �Secret� (Huna) until the time was ripe for its return to the world. Eleven of the tribes, after making a psychic exploration and finding the islands of the Pacific empty and waiting, moved off by way of a canal to the Red Sea, and thence along either the African coast or over to India and thence into the Pacific. After many years they became �lost� in so far as the twelfth tribe was concerned. This twelfth tribe had, for some unstated reason, decided to go north and settle in the Atlas Mountains. They had lived there for centuries, always preserved the Secret and using its magic, but as modern times arrived, the kahunas had died out, until only one remained. . . the teacher, Lucchi. . . . The Berber tribe spoke a conglomerate language peculiar to the Berber bribe, but when it came to teaching the ancient lore of magic, another language had to be employed [for] in it alone could be found the proper words to name the elements in man which made magic possible.�

      Stewart�s training in the magic language came to an abrupt end when Lucchi was killed. Thirty years later Mr. Stewart read Max Freedom Long�s report and recognized the �magic� language in which he was being taught as the same words � aside from dialect changes � as Hawaiian.

      Now, in the oral history of Hawaiians it is told that they [Hawaiians] once lived in a homeland far away. They saw by psychic sight the land of Hawaii and set out to find it. Their journey began at the �Red Sea of Kane�, which, as Mr. Long writes, �fits neatly into the idea that they came from Egypt by way of the Red Sea, as it is called to this day in at least three languages.�

      Max Freedom Long used Stewart�s notes of the �magic� language he learned in North Africa, the notes of Dr. Brigham�s decades of direct observation of the kahuna and their �magic�, the �new� discoveries [in his time] of psychology and psychical research, and the �battered remains of the original Huna philosophy in various religions, to �crack� the Huna Code �hidden� in the Hawaiian Language.

      Next week: What happens next.
      � Foundation For Research & Exploration of Mind Motivation. To Receive Our Newsletter By E-Mail Contact us at:
      odyssey@...

      www.odysseyofthesoul.org - Website of Light
      Subscribe To Our Free Lighten Up Newsletter
      Attend Our Phone & Internet Seminars
      Join Our Odyssey Discussion Group
      For Private Sessions: Phone: 760.772.6628

    • glencabat
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 16, 2008
        interesting story, and in looking at some articles written by max
        freedom long on the net it was interesting to me his thoughts on the
        subconscious and the conscious.I'll be looking forward to the next
        part of this story.

        regards

        Glen--- In odysseyofthesoul@yahoogroups.com, "F.R.E.O.M.M."