New Additions to the OCIC
Posted September 16/29, Afterfeast of the Exaltation of the Cross. Great-Martyr Euphemia.
St Vincent of Lérins: Homily 24 from Made Perfect in Faith, by Fr. James Thornton.
Saint Gregory the Dialogist, Pope of Rome: Homily 27 from Made Perfect in Faith, by Fr. James Thornton.
Saint Isaac the Syrian, Bishop of Nineveh: Homily 30 from Made Perfect in Faith, by Fr. James Thornton.
Posted on January 25/February 7, St. Gregory the Theologian, Archbishop of Constantinople
- AnOpen Letter to the Holy Abbots and the Holy Representatives of theSacred Twenty Monasteries in the Holy Community of the Holy Mount Athos. The So-Called "Kelliotes Letter" (December, 2006).
- The Missionary Origins of Modern Ecumenism:Milestones Leading up to 1920, by Fr. Peter Heers. A talk delivered atthe September, 2004 conference "Ecumenism: Origins, Expectations,Disenchantment", sponsored by the School of Pastoral Theology, TheAristotelian University, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Concerning the Intercommunion that Took Place in Ravenna, 2002:An Article and Exchange of Letters. This is a bit dated, but most ofthis has not been posted in English, and thus will be new to manypeople. It is definitely relevant to 2007, especially in light of thePope's visit to the Phanar last year.
- Posted on March 20/April 2, Holy and Great Monday.
- Father Paisios the Athonite: Guidance about the Jesus Prayer. An excerpt from With Elder Porphyrios: A Spiritual Child Remembers, by Constantine Yiannitsiotis.
- As Holy Week Approaches, by Father Rodney Torbic.
- A Liturgical Explanation for the Days of Holy Week, by Father Alexander Schmemann.
May 22/June 4, Apodosis of Pascha. Martyr Basiliscus, Bishop of Comana.
- Memorandum on the Participation of the Orthodox Church in the World Council of Churches (18 February, 2007), by The Theological Committee of the Sacred Community of Mount Athos. These are the newly translated conclusions of this committee from an approximate sixty-page report sent secretly to the Oecumenical Patriarch last year.
- Saint Anthony the Great and Ecumenism, by Protopresbyter Theodore Zissis.
- A Homily on Abortion, by Bishop Basil of Wichita.
- An Interesting Interview with the new First Hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, Metropolitan Hilarion.
- Photos of Recent Pilgrimages to Holy Archangels Monastery (near San Antonio, TX) and the Convent of Saint Paraskevi (near Houston, TX).
July 27/August 9, Holy Great-martyr and Healer Panteleimon.
- Buddhism and Eastern Asceticism Compared to Orthodox Christian Asceticism. An excerpt from The Hidden Man of the Heart: The Cultivation of the Heart in Orthodox Christian Anthropology, by Archimandrite Zacharias.
- The Origins of Christianity, by Archbishop Chrysostomos of Etna.
- From the Little Mountain: Reflections on Orthodox Christian Monasticism (DVD). This is a superb 32-minute movie that all Orthodox Christians should watch. I was very impressed with the content and production quality. Help support Hermitage of the Holy Cross and buy this DVD!
- A Second Debate with a Reformed Protestant. Although this debate is entitled "Is Protestantism Heretical?", it quickly turned into a debate on epistemology before reaching an impasse. Perry Robinson also commented on the debate.
- My apologies for this commercial, but please consider buying an Amazon Gift Certificate this month for a friend or family member using the link in the upper right next to the search box. This helps support the site. Thank you!
- Posted tonight on the Orthodox Christian Information Center site:
- Shine As the Sun: C.S. Lewis and the Doctrine of Deification, by Chris Jensen (Road to Emmaus). One of the best articles I've ever read on C.S. Lewis.
- Notes on the Jesus Prayer, by Fr. Artemy Vladimirov (Road to Emmaus).
- What Beef Have Women Theologians with Divine Order? Orthodox Theologies of Women and Ordained Ministry, by Rebecca Herman. A response to Dr. Valerie Karras's argument for women Priests in Thinking Through FaithNew Perspectives from Orthodox Christian Scholars (St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2008).
- Photos from Feast Day of St. Paisius Convent in Safford, AZ, November 28, 2008. These photos show the tremendous progress the nuns have made in building their beautiful Byzantine-style church (modeled after St. Nicholas Church at St. Anthony's Monastery in Florence, AZ). They need a plasterer! The convent is in great need of a real plasterer (i.e., not a stucco manthere is a difference). The plasterer does not need to have any experience with limestone plaster specifically. They just need to be able to screed a wall flat (using beads is normal), watch the curing in order to add a second color coat on top of the first at the right time, etc. Anyone who has experience with traditional plaster should be able to learn how to apply the product they are using. The convent is willing to pay for travel. If you can help or know of anyone that can, please contact them.
March 24/April 6, Forefeast of the Annunciation. Venerable Zacharias the Recluse of Egypt (4th c.).
- A Liturgical Explanation of Holy Week, by Father Alexander Schmemann.
- On the Priesthood (MP3): Three Audio Lectures by Fr. Josiah Trenham.
- Embracing the Cross of Christ (MP3): Four Audio Lectures by Fr. Paul Jaroslaw.
- Saint John Chrysostom for the 21st Century, by Fr. Josiah Trenham. See especially Part IV.
- Safely Home to Heaven, A Letter from an Orthodox Nun to a Former Calvinist. From Road to Emmaus.
- Raising Children According to Saint John Chrysostom, by Protopresbyter Theodoros Zisis.
- The Lord's Prayer Interpreted according to Saint Maximos the Confessor, by Protopresbyter Theodoros Zisis.
- Announcing a new book: Solovetski Patericon: The Holy Fathers of the Solovetski Isles (Gozalov Books, The Hague).
Asking for your prayers and wishing you Kalo Pascha!