New Additions to the Orthodox Christian Information Center

  • pbarnesocic
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011

      January 26 / February 8, St. Xenophon and his wife, St. Mary, and their two sons, Sts. Arcadius and John, of Constantinople (6th c.).

      • Reason and Speech: Timeless Truth and Secular Echoes. The Introduction to Ancient Christian Wisdom and Aaron Beck's Cognitive Therapy: A Meeting of Minds, by Father Alexis Trader. This book "details a colorful journey deep into two seemingly disparate worlds united by a common insight into the way our thinking influences our emotions, behaviors, and ultimately our lives. In this innovative study about mental and spiritual health, readers are not only provided with a thorough introduction to the elegant theory and practical techniques of cognitive therapy, they are also initiated into the perennial teachings of ascetics and monks in the Greek-speaking East and Latin-speaking West whose powerful writings not only anticipated many contemporary findings, but also suggest unexplored pathways and breathtaking vistas for human growth and development. This groundbreaking interdisciplinary volume in the art of pastoral counseling, patristic studies, and the interface between psychology and theology will be a coveted addition to the working libraries of pastors and psychologists alike. In addition, it is ideal as a textbook for seminary classes in pastoral theology and pastoral counseling, as well as for graduate courses in psychology dealing with the relationship between psychological models and religious worldviews." (Book Synopsis). This book is available from Amazon.com or Peter Lang Publishing.
      • Cultivating the Garden of the Heart: Patristic Counsel and Cognitive Techniques for Schema Reconstruction. Ch. 9 from Ancient Christian Wisdom and Aaron Beck's Cognitive Therapy: A Meeting of Minds, by Father Alexis Trader. Do not be put off by the academic title of this chapter. This beautifully written piece is one of the finest writings on how to live a spiritual life and cultivate the virtues that I have ever read. It will be of interest to all Orthodox Christians.
      • On the Gift of Speaking in Tongues, Ch. 15 from The Hidden Man of the Heart, by Archimandrite Zacharias.
      • A Catholic Hermit Converted To Orthodoxy, By Konstantin Matsan. "A well-known theologian, hieromonk Gabriel Bunge, rarely gives interviews. He leads a hermit's life in a small skete in Switzerland, never uses the Internet, and the only means of communication with him is the telephone. The latter works as the answering machine in a distant room. If you want to talk with him, you have to leave a message with the time when you are going to phone again, and if Father Gabriel is ready to talk, he will be near the telephone at the time you specified. We were lucky not to go through this complex operation because we met Father Gabriel in Moscow. On August 27, he converted to Orthodoxy from Catholicism."
      • St. Innocent Liturgical Calendar. This is a new publication that will be of interest to all English-speaking Orthodox Christians who follow the Church ("Old") Calendar. The general editor is Fr. John Whiteford, a ROCOR Priest who has for years maintained these invaluable liturgical texts and resources.