New Additions to the Orthodox Christian Information Center Web Site
Warm greetings in Christ! Posted tonight, November 5/18 (Martyrs Galacteon and his wife Episteme at Emesa):
- Heresy vs. Truth, Part II: A Reply to Dr. Bouteneff's "Open Response to Patrick Barnes", by Patrick Barnes.
- Blessed Are They Which Are Persecuted for Righteousness' Sake, Sermon Nine on the Beatitudes, from the highly edifying new book Delight in the Law of God, by the Rev. Dr. James Thornton.
- Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness Against Thy Neighbour, Sermon Nine on the Commandments of God, from the highly edifying new book Delight in the Law of God, by the Rev. Dr. James Thornton.
Dear Friends of the OCIC,
Warm greetings in Christ! I hope this finds you well. The following was just posted to OrthodoxInfo.com.
Asking for your prayers and wishing you all a joyous Nativity,
December 5/18, Venerable Sabbas the Sanctified.
- A Strange Miracle of St. Nicholas, translated by Moses Hawk.
- Holy Scripture and the Church,by New Hieromartyr Hilarion (Troitsky), Archbishop of Verey. This is anespecially important article for Protestants to read. From The Orthodox Word, Issue #264-265, Jan-Apr 2009.
- Preaching the Gospel of Christ in the Modern World, by Hieromonk Damascene. From The Orthodox Word, Issue #250, Sep.-Oct. 2006, Vol. 42, No. 5.
- Edifying Blog on the Writings of Elder Paisios the Athonite and Living an Orthodox Life.Fr. Luke Hartung is translating some of the writings of Elder Paisiosas well as posting some helpful things about life in the Church. Wellworth reading and following.
December 18/31, Martyr Sebastian at Rome and his companions: Martyrs Nicostratus, Zoe, Castorius, Tranquillinus, Marcellinus, Mark, Claudius, Symphorian, Victorinus, Tiburtius, and Castulus (287).
- John the Blessed, a special story by Photios Kontoglou for the Civil New Year and Feast of St. Basil. Translated by Archbishop Chrysostomos of Etna, who noted elsewhere: "The story, whatever the time of year, is a charming statement about those who, so rare in today's world, sense the presence of God, live simply in concord with the world as He created it, and show that joy which comes from a wholly natural and simple way of life." If you enjoy this story you should also read the short stories of Alexandros Papadiamandis: The Boundless Garden.
- Dear Friends of the OCIC,
Warm greetings in Christ! Today I have posted a big update. If you have read Mr. Shingledecker's book or otherwise care to post a review of it on Amazon, please do so.
- A Review of The Crazy Side of Orthodoxy, by Charles Shingledecker. Published by Regina Orthodox Press (2011). Reviewed by Patrick Barnes.
- The Canons of the Church: Changeable or Unchangeable?, by Nicholas N. Afanasiev.
- On Penances and their Use, a short compilation on this important topic.
- Excerpts from Greece's Dostoevsky: The Theological Vision of Alexandros Papadiamandis, by Anestis Keselopoulos. This is a superb new book available from Protecting Veil Press.
- Photos of the Consecration of St. Andrew Antiochian Orthodox Church in Riverside, CA, by Patrick Barnes. This newly built church, consecrated on December 3, 2011, is among the most beautiful Orthodox Churches in America.
- Video Tour Series of St. Andrew Orthodox Church, by Fr. Josiah Trenham.