New Additions to the OCIC
- View Source
July 27/August 9, Holy Great-martyr and Healer Panteleimon.
- Buddhism and Eastern Asceticism Compared to Orthodox Christian Asceticism. An excerpt from The Hidden Man of the Heart: The Cultivation of the Heart in Orthodox Christian Anthropology, by Archimandrite Zacharias.
- The Origins of Christianity, by Archbishop Chrysostomos of Etna.
- From the Little Mountain: Reflections on Orthodox Christian Monasticism (DVD). This is a superb 32-minute movie that all Orthodox Christians should watch. I was very impressed with the content and production quality. Help support Hermitage of the Holy Cross and buy this DVD!
- A Second Debate with a Reformed Protestant. Although this debate is entitled "Is Protestantism Heretical?", it quickly turned into a debate on epistemology before reaching an impasse. Perry Robinson also commented on the debate.
- My apologies for this commercial, but please consider buying an Amazon Gift Certificate this month for a friend or family member using the link in the upper right next to the search box. This helps support the site. Thank you!
- View SourcePosted tonight on the Orthodox Christian Information Center site:
- Shine As the Sun: C.S. Lewis and the Doctrine of Deification, by Chris Jensen (Road to Emmaus). One of the best articles I've ever read on C.S. Lewis.
- Notes on the Jesus Prayer, by Fr. Artemy Vladimirov (Road to Emmaus).
- What Beef Have Women Theologians with Divine Order? Orthodox Theologies of Women and Ordained Ministry, by Rebecca Herman. A response to Dr. Valerie Karras's argument for women Priests in Thinking Through FaithNew Perspectives from Orthodox Christian Scholars (St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2008).
- Photos from Feast Day of St. Paisius Convent in Safford, AZ, November 28, 2008. These photos show the tremendous progress the nuns have made in building their beautiful Byzantine-style church (modeled after St. Nicholas Church at St. Anthony's Monastery in Florence, AZ). They need a plasterer! The convent is in great need of a real plasterer (i.e., not a stucco manthere is a difference). The plasterer does not need to have any experience with limestone plaster specifically. They just need to be able to screed a wall flat (using beads is normal), watch the curing in order to add a second color coat on top of the first at the right time, etc. Anyone who has experience with traditional plaster should be able to learn how to apply the product they are using. The convent is willing to pay for travel. If you can help or know of anyone that can, please contact them.
- View Source
March 24/April 6, Forefeast of the Annunciation. Venerable Zacharias the Recluse of Egypt (4th c.).
- A Liturgical Explanation of Holy Week, by Father Alexander Schmemann.
- On the Priesthood (MP3): Three Audio Lectures by Fr. Josiah Trenham.
- Embracing the Cross of Christ (MP3): Four Audio Lectures by Fr. Paul Jaroslaw.
- Saint John Chrysostom for the 21st Century, by Fr. Josiah Trenham. See especially Part IV.
- Safely Home to Heaven, A Letter from an Orthodox Nun to a Former Calvinist. From Road to Emmaus.
- Raising Children According to Saint John Chrysostom, by Protopresbyter Theodoros Zisis.
- The Lord's Prayer Interpreted according to Saint Maximos the Confessor, by Protopresbyter Theodoros Zisis.
- Announcing a new book: Solovetski Patericon: The Holy Fathers of the Solovetski Isles (Gozalov Books, The Hague).
Asking for your prayers and wishing you Kalo Pascha!