New Additions to the Orthodox Christian Information Center

  • pbarnesocic
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29 5:08 PM
      Christ is Risen! Truly He is Risen!

      April 16/29, BRIGHT TUESDAY. Saints Raphael, Nicholas and Irene of Lesvos.

      —Announcing another important new book: Patristic Theology - The University Lectures of Father John Romanides. Read the following excerpts: —On "Scientific" Theologians, by Photios Kontoglou. An excerpt from Meetings with Kontoglou, by Constantine Cavarnos.
      —Against Materialism. An Excerpt from Saints Raphael, Nicholas and Irene, by Constantine Cavarnos.

    • pbarnesocic
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 23, 2010

        Dear Friends of the OCIC,

        It's been the longest interval ever since my last update to the site. I apologize for this. It's very difficult to find time these days to focus on the site's upkeep and new content. But I do have some good articles and audio books in the queue and will have another update very soon when Fr. Josiah Trenham's new book and media venture is ready to be unveiled.

        I also have been chipping away at a major upgrade to the site, porting it from ASP.NET to Drupal so that it becomes a true Content Management System, with lots of other great new site features. I'm making progress, but due to increasing commitments and economics I can only devote so much free time to it.

        Aside from the new articles (below), I fixed the related articles search panel and the search engine page, broken for some time due to changes in the Google Search mechanism.

        Please remember me in your prayers.

        In XC,

        Patrick

        ==============

        September 10/23, Afterfeast of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos. Martyrs Menodora, Metrodora, and Nymphodora at Nicomedia (305).

      • pbarnesocic
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13, 2010
          Posted on October 30 / November 12, Hieromartyr Zenobius and his sister Zenobia of Aegae, Cilicia (285):
        • pbarnesocic
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2011

            January 26 / February 8, St. Xenophon and his wife, St. Mary, and their two sons, Sts. Arcadius and John, of Constantinople (6th c.).

            • Reason and Speech: Timeless Truth and Secular Echoes. The Introduction to Ancient Christian Wisdom and Aaron Beck's Cognitive Therapy: A Meeting of Minds, by Father Alexis Trader. This book "details a colorful journey deep into two seemingly disparate worlds united by a common insight into the way our thinking influences our emotions, behaviors, and ultimately our lives. In this innovative study about mental and spiritual health, readers are not only provided with a thorough introduction to the elegant theory and practical techniques of cognitive therapy, they are also initiated into the perennial teachings of ascetics and monks in the Greek-speaking East and Latin-speaking West whose powerful writings not only anticipated many contemporary findings, but also suggest unexplored pathways and breathtaking vistas for human growth and development. This groundbreaking interdisciplinary volume in the art of pastoral counseling, patristic studies, and the interface between psychology and theology will be a coveted addition to the working libraries of pastors and psychologists alike. In addition, it is ideal as a textbook for seminary classes in pastoral theology and pastoral counseling, as well as for graduate courses in psychology dealing with the relationship between psychological models and religious worldviews." (Book Synopsis). This book is available from Amazon.com or Peter Lang Publishing.
            • Cultivating the Garden of the Heart: Patristic Counsel and Cognitive Techniques for Schema Reconstruction. Ch. 9 from Ancient Christian Wisdom and Aaron Beck's Cognitive Therapy: A Meeting of Minds, by Father Alexis Trader. Do not be put off by the academic title of this chapter. This beautifully written piece is one of the finest writings on how to live a spiritual life and cultivate the virtues that I have ever read. It will be of interest to all Orthodox Christians.
            • On the Gift of Speaking in Tongues, Ch. 15 from The Hidden Man of the Heart, by Archimandrite Zacharias.
            • A Catholic Hermit Converted To Orthodoxy, By Konstantin Matsan. "A well-known theologian, hieromonk Gabriel Bunge, rarely gives interviews. He leads a hermit's life in a small skete in Switzerland, never uses the Internet, and the only means of communication with him is the telephone. The latter works as the answering machine in a distant room. If you want to talk with him, you have to leave a message with the time when you are going to phone again, and if Father Gabriel is ready to talk, he will be near the telephone at the time you specified. We were lucky not to go through this complex operation because we met Father Gabriel in Moscow. On August 27, he converted to Orthodoxy from Catholicism."
            • St. Innocent Liturgical Calendar. This is a new publication that will be of interest to all English-speaking Orthodox Christians who follow the Church ("Old") Calendar. The general editor is Fr. John Whiteford, a ROCOR Priest who has for years maintained these invaluable liturgical texts and resources.