31New Additions to the Orthodox Christian Information Center
- Nov 13, 2010Posted on October 30 / November 12, Hieromartyr Zenobius and his sister Zenobia of Aegae, Cilicia (285):
- Three homilies from an excellent new book entitled Of Whom the World was not Worthy: Sermons on the Lives and Works of the Patriarchs and Prophets of the Old Testament, by Protopresbyter James Thornton:
- The Holy Prophet Zephaniah (Sophonias)
- The Holy Prophet Habakkuk (Ambakoum)
- The Holy Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist John
- How to Give Alms to the Poor, by Teimuraz Kristinashvili. This is the best article on this subject I've ever read.
- The Acts and Decrees of the Synod of Jerusalem, a Synod held in 1672 concerning a work entitled The Eastern Confession of the Christian Faith, which attempted to express Orthodox beliefs in Protestant terms, specifically Calvinism. It was allegedly written by the former Patriarch of Constantinople, Cyril (Loukaris). The "Confession of Dositheos" starts at the bottom of p. 110, and remains an excellent expression of Orthodox theology vis-à-vis Calvinism. Protopresbyter James Thornton offers further historical insights in this excerpt from his book The Oecumenical Synods of the Orthodox Church.
- Pope & Patriarchs: The 1848 Letters of Pope Pius IX and the Orthodox Patriarchs. Thanks to Dave Brown from St. Gabriel Orthodox Church (OCA) in Ashland, Oregon for putting this together.
- God and Modern Culture, a stimulating and edifying lecture using the writings of C.S. Lewis, presented by Fr. Andrew Cuneo at the Serbian Diocesan Days 2010.
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>