Spiritual surgery

  • Paulo
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2011
      http://br.groups.yahoo.com/group/pgdelanne

      SUMMARY

      ALMEIDA, AM et al. Psychic surgery: an investigation

      BACKGROUND. A very popular modality with the media is psychic
      surgery
      which has received little scientific evaluation though. Such
      phenomena always raise the issues of fakery and deceit. Research has
      been scarce.

      METHODS. We report an investigation on one of the most famous
      psychic
      surgeons in Brazil, João Teixeira de Farias. 30 surgical
      interventions with cutting were studied, 6 patients undergoing
      history-taking, physical examination and analysis of the materials
      supposedly extracted from them.

      RESULTS. We were struck by the fact that the surgeon really
      incisions
      skin or ocular epithelium in addition to scraping the cornea without
      identified anaesthetics or antiseptics being used. Just one woman
      complained of pain as she had her breast incised. Longer follow up
      of
      patients failed to notice any infection in the surgical sites.
      Histopathology found the specimens to be compatible with their site
      of origin and, apart from a 210g. lipoma, were healthy tissues
      without discernible pathology.

      CONCLUSIONS. The surgerical procedures are real but we couldn't
      evaluate the efficacy. It didn't appear to have any specific effect.
      Our findings are undoubtedly more of an exploratory kind than
      conclusive ones. Further studies are clearly necessary to cast light
      on this unorthodox treatment. [Rev Ass Med Bras; 46(3): 194-200]

      KEYWORDS: Spiritual surgery. Spiritual healing. Alternative
      therapy. Complementary therapy.