SOAP libraries for OCaml

  • cultural_sublimation
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007
      Dear bactrians,

      I am looking for an OCaml SOAP library. According to the Hump, there
      are three projects:

      a) SOSS (http://www.caterpillarjones.org/soss/)
      b) OCaml-Soap (http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ocaml-soap/)
      c) OC-Soap (http://merjis.com/developers/oc-soap)

      The first one seems targeted only at providing SOAP services, which is
      not really what I want; the second one hasn't been updated in a long
      time, though I don't know if either because it was dropped or because
      it is deemed stable. In any case, I would like to hear your opinions
      and/or recommendations about a library that is stable and maintained.

      Thanks in advance!
      C.S.
    • cultural_sublimation
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2007

        By the way, I mentioned SOAP because I couldn't find any special
        provisions for REST in OCaml. Though I reckon that REST is so simple
        is not really worth making a special library for it... Anyway, what
        is the OCaml community using to interface with the various web API's,
        such as Google's, Amazon's, Paypal, etc?

        Cheers,
        C.S.
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
          On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 02:19:47PM -0000, cultural_sublimation wrote:
          > I am looking for an OCaml SOAP library.

          Client or server?

          Richard Jones
          Red Hat
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
            On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 03:03:38PM -0000, cultural_sublimation wrote:
            > By the way, I mentioned SOAP because I couldn't find any special
            > provisions for REST in OCaml. Though I reckon that REST is so simple
            > is not really worth making a special library for it...

            ocamlnet is probably what you're looking for if you want to build REST
            clients or servers.

            > Anyway, what
            > is the OCaml community using to interface with the various web API's,
            > such as Google's, Amazon's, Paypal, etc?

            For Google AdWords I was using OC-SOAP.

            Richard Jones
            Red Hat
          • cultural_sublimation
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007

              > ocamlnet is probably what you're looking for if you want to build REST
              > clients or servers.

              Thanks for your reply, Rich. Yes, I am building a client, and after
              taking a brief look at ocamlnet, I was immediately sold. I am using
              the Neturl and Netencoding modules to construct the URL, and the
              Http_client.Convenience module to fetch the page. It's only a few
              lines and it gets the job done.

              > For Google AdWords I was using OC-SOAP.

              Yap, that seems to be the way to go for someone using SOAP. But after
              doing some more reading on the SOAP vs REST debate, I decided that
              REST was probably a better option.

              Thanks again!
              Cheers,
              C.S.
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3, 2007
                > > For Google AdWords I was using OC-SOAP.
                >
                > Yap, that seems to be the way to go for someone using SOAP. But after
                > doing some more reading on the SOAP vs REST debate, I decided that
                > REST was probably a better option.

                Yes definitely. SOAP is horrible[1]. Note that OC-SOAP uses ocamlnet
                to perform the underlying HTTP calls.

                Rich.

                [1]http://merjis.com/developers/oc-soap#About_SOAP

                --