Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] alternating interactive and compiled modes

  • Gianluca Moro
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2002
      --- In ocaml_beginners@y..., Stalkern 2 <stalkern2@t...> wrote:

      > I agree on everything, but there is a strong reason for "global
      refs" in
      > ocaml; in a functional-featured language, where lambda calculus
      takes charge
      > gently of a number of states, not only refs are strictly speaking a
      > nonfunctional element, but using refs for *local* scopes is seldom
      useful.

      In italian I will say "se c'e' fantasia, non c'e' limite alle porcate
      che ci si puo' inventare", that is, you can find an application
      for everything, even for the more unuseful things: yes, the main use
      for the ref is as globals, even in my code, but sometimes I use
      them to store local states too, anyway, as you say, just a question
      of habit.

      An example of local ref can be the following: the idea, for
      C-coders, is to have a static variable in a function, that is
      a variable whose scope is local to a function, but whose
      value is keeped from call to call:

      let myFunction =
      let lastX = ref 0.0 in
      (fun x ->
      (* blablablathatisdosomething; *)
      Printf.printf "LastX=%f, currentX=%f\n" !lastX x;
      lastX := x;
      )

      val myFunction : float -> unit = <fun>

      In this way, I have a local variable, which can be seen
      just in myFunction, but whose life is extended to the
      all program life.

      By the way, I agree too, that everything is a question of style:
      one could implement such a thing with in continuation passing style
      with no refs.

      > of programming styles, I believe. I often consider Ocaml as an
      imperative
      > environment with functional functions... it should be time for
      studying OO!!
      > ;-))
      >
      > Cheers
      > Ernesto

      What!?!? you are completely wrong! Ocaml is a functional
      language with imperative extensions!!!! :-)

      And by the way, I wrote some small application in OO (using C),
      but I don't like this style at all: you can always model
      your ideas as if everything were an object, but sometime
      such a paradigma is good for your application, some others
      no: the same when you want to write a completley (pure)
      functional program, or a completely continuation passing
      style program: in some occcasion the model makes your
      programming much easier, sometimes make it much harder.

      Models are a good thing, until you adapt the models
      to reality and not reality to models.

      bye
      Gianluca