Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Error during linking

  • Robert Roessler
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2006
      Bill James wrote:
      > Compiling from the bash shell that was installed with the
      > cygwin packages does the trick; camlopt made a stand-alone
      > executable for the mini ray-tracing program from Flying
      > Frog.
      >
      > Unless anyone can tell me how to use camlopt in a windows
      > console (DOS-box), I'll have to make the machine-language
      > versions of my programs from bash.

      It's not clear what you mean by this... as I am in the midst of
      finding out, it is one *heck* of lot easier to build and link OCaml
      programs (specifically, mixed C and OCaml, bytecode and/or native) on
      Windows than on... other choices. ;)

      OTOH, the actual build environment (the available commands etc) is
      important. To readily get at the compiling and building commands
      themselves (Microsoft toolchain in my case), it takes something quite
      a bit more powerful than Microsoft's "nmake" or any of the builtin
      stuff... as I mention on these lists every once in a while, I use
      Cygwin for just this - so I get access to real make, rm, cp, mv etc.

      Robert Roessler
      robertr@...
      http://www.rftp.com
    • Bill James
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In ocaml_beginners@yahoogroups.com, Robert Roessler <robertr@...>
        wrote:

        > Bill James wrote:
        > > Compiling from the bash shell that was installed with the
        > > cygwin packages does the trick; camlopt made a stand-alone
        > > executable for the mini ray-tracing program from Flying
        > > Frog.
        > >
        > > Unless anyone can tell me how to use camlopt in a windows
        > > console (DOS-box), I'll have to make the machine-language
        > > versions of my programs from bash.
        >
        > It's not clear what you mean by this... as I am in the midst of
        > finding out, it is one *heck* of lot easier to build and link OCaml
        > programs (specifically, mixed C and OCaml, bytecode and/or native) on
        > Windows than on... other choices. ;)
        >
        > OTOH, the actual build environment (the available commands etc) is
        > important. To readily get at the compiling and building commands
        > themselves (Microsoft toolchain in my case), it takes something quite
        > a bit more powerful than Microsoft's "nmake" or any of the builtin
        > stuff... as I mention on these lists every once in a while, I use
        > Cygwin for just this - so I get access to real make, rm, cp, mv etc.
        >
        > Robert Roessler
        > robertr@...
        > http://www.rftp.com

        I'm using the mingw version of OCaml under windoze.
        ocamlc and ocaml work properly when invoked from the
        DOS prompt, but ocamlopt doesn't. I suspect it's
        because the cygwin tools (gcc, linker, etc.) don't
        understand the windoze path environmental variable.
        So after debugging and fine tuning the program, I
        run cygwin.bat and compile from bash.