about value polymorphism '_a

  • Julien Cohen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2002
      I've sent in this list several messages concerning the _ in types such
      as in '_a or _[`A].

      This restriction of polymorphism to syntactical values has been
      developped in "Simple Imperative polymorphism" by Andrew K. Wright (in
      Lisp and Symbolic Computation 1995).

      Jacques Garrigue wrote an interresting article about this subject (see
      his home page) and made a relaxation of the restriction.
      This relaxation should be included in a next release of ocaml.
      Example : (fun x -> x) [] will be a 'a list instead of a '_a list.

      Julien Cohen.