Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] it works - but not how I wanted... (was: Re: IT WORKS!!!)

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2002
      > >>Call me an idiot. I thought my exe would be free of any 'runtime'
      > >>environments...
      > >>
      > >>.. an EXE compiled in cygwin requires the cygwin environment??
      > >
      > >It's not quite as bad as that: executables generated in Cygwin
      > >don't require the entire Cygwin environment, but rather just a
      > >few DLLs.
      >
      > Well, if you compile the C code with -mno-cygwin (something like
      that),
      > the executable will be bigger.
      > ... but doesn't require cygwin
      >
      > Gergo

      Sweet!! I wouldn't have to release my source code then - right?

      What exactly do you mean by 'compile the C code'? I remember reading
      about an option like that, but I don't remember where in the process it
      went...

      -Rich
    • Kontra, Gergely
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2002
        >> >It's not quite as bad as that: executables generated in Cygwin
        >> >don't require the entire Cygwin environment, but rather just a
        >> >few DLLs.
        >>
        >> Well, if you compile the C code with -mno-cygwin (something like
        >that),
        >> the executable will be bigger.
        >> ... but doesn't require cygwin
        >>
        >> Gergo
        >
        >Sweet!! I wouldn't have to release my source code then - right?
        >
        >What exactly do you mean by 'compile the C code'? I remember reading
        >about an option like that, but I don't remember where in the process it
        >went...

        To tell the truth I don't do this with any ocaml code, so no idea.
        But I think: whenever you must use gcc.

        But please consider using the mingw compilers (there is msys too to
        make your life easier). If my memory serves me well, you can create
        commercial software with their compiler, but don't trust me, read the
        docs!

        Gergo
        +-[Kontra, Gergely @ Budapest University of Technology and Economics]-+
        | Email: kgergely@..., kgergely@... |