Running ocamldebug in emacs (on cygwin)

  • David Melski
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21 7:54 AM
      The manual says that the best way to use ocamldebug is from within emacs.
      When I do this (using the camldebug.el file from the latest
      3.09.0distribution), the *
      camldebug-a.exe* window displays strings like:

      ^Z^ZM/usr/lib/ocaml/pervasives.ml:2700:before

      I presume that this is a message from ocamldebug to the camldebug mode to
      tell it to display the pervasives.ml
      file at character position 2700 (not sure what the 'before' means). But the
      camldebug mode is not interpreting it. By opening up camldebug.el, I do see
      a regexp that is close to matching this:

      "\032\032\\(H\\|M\\(.+\\):\\(.+\\):\\(.+\\):\\(before\\|after\\)\\)\n"

      But instead of a leading "^Z^Z" it expects spaces ("\032\032"), and instead
      3 colon-deliniated substrings, it expects 4.

      All of this makes me think I have a versioning problem, as if ocamldebug was
      updated, and camldebug.el hasn't caught up. But my google searches have been
      fruitless... is there something else obvious that I'm missing, or that I can
      reconfigure?

      thanks,
      Dave

    • Fritz Anderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 21 9:13 AM
        On 21 Dec 2005, at 9:54 AM, David Melski wrote:

        > But instead of a leading "^Z^Z" it expects spaces ("\032\032"), and
        > instead
        > 3 colon-deliniated substrings, it expects 4.

        Remember that \0nn literals are octal (base-8). 032 == 24 + 2 == 26 =
        control-Z.

        -- F
      • Jon Harrop
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
          On Friday 06 January 2006 14:31, Zhifeng Sheng wrote:
          > Can somebody tell me how I can represent positive infinity float number
          > in Ocaml?

          $ ocaml
          Objective Caml version 3.08.4

          # infinity;;
          - : float = infinity

          Objective CAML for Scientists
        • Zhifeng Sheng
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
            Dear everyone

            Happy new year

            Can somebody tell me how I can represent infinity float number?

            Is there such notation in the Ocaml library?

            Best regards
            Zhifeng Sheng
          • Zhifeng Sheng
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
              Dear everyone

              Happy new year

              Can somebody tell me how I can represent positive infinity float number
              in Ocaml?

              Is there such symbol in Ocaml library?

              Best regards
              Zhifeng sheng
            • William Neumann
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
                On Jan 6, 2006, at 7:29 AM, Jon Harrop wrote:

                > $ ocaml
                > Objective Caml version 3.08.4
                >
                > # infinity;;
                > - : float = infinity

                And it's neg_infinity for negative infinity. It's all in the manual,
                in the floating-point arithmetic part of the section on the
                Pervasives module <http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/libref/
                Pervasives.html>.

                William D. Neumann

                "I eat T-bone steaks, I lift barbell plates, I'm sweeter than a
                German chocolate cake. I'm the reflection of perfection, the number
                one selection. I'm the man of the hour, the man with the power, too
                sweet to be sour. The ladies' pet, the men's regret, where what you
                see is what you get, and what you don't see, is better yet."

                --Superstar Billy Graham
              • Martin Jambon
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 6, 2006
                  On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Zhifeng Sheng wrote:

                  > Dear everyone
                  >
                  > Happy new year
                  >
                  > Can somebody tell me how I can represent infinity float number?
                  >
                  > Is there such notation in the Ocaml library?

                  Yes:

                  # infinity;;
                  - : float = infinity
                  # neg_infinity;;