Row Types

  • Oliver Bandel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2005
      Hello,

      today I downloaded ocaml 3.09.

      One of the new things:

      > - Introduction of private row types, for abstracting the row in object
      > and variant types.

      But... what is a row-type?

      TIA,
      Oliver
    • Chris Campbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2005
        On 31/10/05, Oliver Bandel <oliver@...-berlin.de> wrote:

        > But... what is a row-type?

        Think objects and polymorphic variants in OCaml. I don't understand
        private row types fully yet, but loosely a row type is a record like
        type allowing extension. It's a way out of the problem of a record
        type being 'fixed' to a given set of fields. They make functions with
        parameters like <x:int, y:foo->bar, ...> legal.

        Look for row polymorphism on the web. Here is something by Neel
        Krishnaswami which might give you an idea of what they are...

        http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~neelk/rows.pdf