List of libraries.

  • olczyk@interaccess.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2002
      I'm now setting up my Caml installations.
      One thing that I've noticed is that often times when you
      suddenly need a package ( say something to do computational geometry
      ), it becomes a pain to set it up.

      So what I would like to do is install everything upfront, including
      common libraries that I am likely to need sooner or later.
      ( Really esoteric libraries can be left off ).

      So I looked through the VisualWorks 7 ( Smalltalk ) installation,
      which generally comes with about 95% of the VW libraries out there
      ( 95% of the noncommercial libraries of course ), looked through the
      libraries and tried to come up with a similar list of Caml.

      Below I present my half-finished list.
      The format is:
      Type of library
      Specific package1
      Specific package2
      Type of library.

      When I was unsure I put ???? or some comments.

      Note: I am not just asking what is available. I am also asking
      opinions about various libraries, what holes there are in the list
      and anything else that is needed to complete the list.

      What I am asking is:
      1) If I am missing a type of library please add it.
      2) Where I am missing a package please add it.

      If several packages are available, please list the "best"
      one only, unless there is something which distinguishes
      between the two.

      Thanks.

      Regex
      PCRE ( built in?)
      GUI
      lablgtk
      More sophisticated graphics. Plotting, 3d drawing, etc.
      Sophisticated widgets.
      Debugger/GUI interface for Debugger.
      Epiere--part of Chameleon
      Profiler/GUI interface for profiler.
      ????
      ProcessMonitor ( eg how much CPU time has been used, how mch memory,
      etc. )
      ????
      FFI
      Built in.
      SWIG
      COM interface
      ????
      Build tools ( make etc ) especially tools commonly used in projects.
      Usual (automake autoconfig make ) and OCamlmake
      Code Analysis tools ( tags, crossreference, code quality testing
      like lint, etc ).
      ????
      UnitTesting code (camlunit?)
      ????
      CaseTool
      ????
      Corba interface
      CorbaIDL
      Advanced Math Tools
      Encryption(Blowfish,SSL,DES,MD5)
      Cryptokit.
      Cryptgps.
      Parsing Tools.
      Ocamllex Ocamlyacc.
      Anything using LL grammars.
      Packages that parse in a more "camlish" way.
      DB tools ( esp Access,ODBC,Postgress and MySQL)
      OCamlODBC
      OCaml-MySQL
      Postgress
      bdb
      DBForge
      Internet Tools ( Sockets, SNMP, FTP, HTTP etc. )
      ????
      Advanced Internet Tools ( HTML Parsing, XML Parsing, Web
      Applications, Basic Web Server, SOAP, etc.)
      ????
    • Stalkern 2
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2002
        Just to say that Gerd Stolpmann wrote a package "ocamlfind" that taking
        advantage of some meta information files should help in finding out where
        libs are placed. The problem is that these ocamlfind meta files aren't a
        standard for Ocaml contributors, but they can be written and some can even be
        found on the Internet.
        For what concerns the libraries that should come bundled with a distribution,
        this would mean that the mantainers are concerned in the core team, i.e. they
        can release the updates of the libraries as soon as the distribution is
        ready... that seems to carry even more pain than setting things up after a
        while.

        Bye
        Ernesto