Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Ocaml Network

  • Andrei Formiga
    Message 1 of 13 , May 11, 2004
      This bug was brought up in the main caml list as
      well. Xavier Leroy mentioned it is fixed in CVS. The
      status of the bug report I filed:

      http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs/fixed?id=1986;user=guest;selectid=1986

      seems to confirm so.

      ---
      []s, Andrei de A. Formiga

      --- Karl Zilles <zilles@...> wrote:
      > promiller wrote:
      > > By the way, I work with Win2k thats why I can't
      > use Unix.open_connection.
      >
      > open_connection *should* work with Win2k. On the
      > other hand, Andrei
      > Formiga was saying on this list that he could not
      > get it to work. The
      > problem seemed to be with the out_channel_of_descr
      > function, which is
      > supposed to work under Win2k, but did not seem to be
      > working for him.
      >
      > Perhaps you could ask him what the resolution was:

    • promiller
      Message 2 of 13 , May 11, 2004
        Andrei Formiga wrote:
        > This bug was brought up in the main caml list as
        > well. Xavier Leroy mentioned it is fixed in CVS. The
        > status of the bug report I filed:
        >
        > http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs/fixed?id=1986;user=guest;selectid=1986
        >
        > seems to confirm so.

        That report states:
        >Somewhere in the documentation in the unix version it
        >is mentioned that both in_channel_of_descr and out_channel_of_descr don't
        work
        >on sockets under Windows 95, 98 and ME, but work under Windows NT and 2000.

        I'm using Windows 2000 and it does not work here!
        Any further suggestions or workarounds?
        If I am not able to use the channel functions I'd have to use Unix.send and
        Unix.recv but then further problems arise.
        How does my receiver know how much Data is beeing sent? I'd have to tell him
        first or standardise the sending process.
        This would make working with it much less comfortable - I'd like not to
        write that myself.

        Sebastian
      • Karl Zilles
        Message 3 of 13 , May 11, 2004
          promiller wrote:

          > Andrei Formiga wrote:
          >
          >> This bug was brought up in the main caml list as
          >>well. Xavier Leroy mentioned it is fixed in CVS. The
          >>status of the bug report I filed:
          >>
          >>http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs/fixed?id=1986;user=guest;selectid=1986
          >>
          >> seems to confirm so.
          >

          > That report states:
          >
          >>Somewhere in the documentation in the unix version it
          >>is mentioned that both in_channel_of_descr and out_channel_of_descr don't
          > work
          >>on sockets under Windows 95, 98 and ME, but work under Windows NT and 2000.

          You're just reading the text that andrei copied when he reported the
          bug. There was a problem with Windows NT and it was fixed. Otherwise
          the bug would have been set to "not a bug".

          > I'm using Windows 2000 and it does not work here!
          > Any further suggestions or workarounds?

          Are you using the CVS version? The fix that is specified on that page
          is not in the latest release version.