Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Re: Ponderings from an OCaml Wayfarer

  • oliver@first.in-berlin.de
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 29, 2004
      On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 04:49:18PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
      > On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 02:35:36PM +0100, oliver@...-berlin.de wrote:
      > > But now I have to solve some regexp-problems in Ocaml.
      > > (I try it with the modules that are in the standard distribution,
      > > and hope I will get results without being forced to use pcre-module.)
      >
      > Mottl's PCRE module is a real lifesaver. I think it *ought* to be in
      > the standard distribution.

      Yes.

      Ciao,
      Oliver
    • John Goerzen
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2004
        On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 09:43:59AM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
        > On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:04:47PM +0000, John Goerzen wrote:
        > > 2. Working with libraries is *hard*. Every library builds and installs
        > > differently. Some work with ocamlfind, some don't, some *can*. Some

        [ snip ]

        > Debian / apt-get is your friend! Almost all the libraries we use with
        > OCaml here are either already Debian packages, or else we've made
        > packages out of them.

        I forgot to reply to this...

        Yes, Debian is nice. You might notice that within the past week, I've
        packaged up and uploaded about 5 OCaml libraries that were not already
        in Debian. So it's not as extensive as you might think.

        Also, not everyone uses Debian everywhere. I, for instance, must work
        with AIX. While Debian could run on that machine, decisions have been
        made to use AIX, so I have to work with that.

        > > 3. I miss equivolents of common C calls like asctime(), strftime(), and
        > > strptime(). The Unix module lacks support for IPv6 and many other
        > > socket features that are needed.
        >
        > Yes, me too. You should file this as a feature request
        > http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs/feature%20wish?user=guest

        Went there, but couldn't work out how to submit a new thing on that
        page.

        -- John
      • Eray Ozkural
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2004
          On Wednesday 03 March 2004 16:57, John Goerzen wrote:

          > I forgot to reply to this...
          >
          > Yes, Debian is nice. You might notice that within the past week, I've
          > packaged up and uploaded about 5 OCaml libraries that were not already
          > in Debian. So it's not as extensive as you might think.
          >
          > Also, not everyone uses Debian everywhere. I, for instance, must work
          > with AIX. While Debian could run on that machine, decisions have been
          > made to use AIX, so I have to work with that.

          It's pointless to insist on the packaging format of a single distribution. The
          physical module distribution of a language must be platform independent.

          Ocaml must have a portable library framework like the one Haskell community is
          working on. Oh, and a hierarchical naming scheme as well!

          For the record, many ocaml libraries that I use are not available on Debian.

          Regards,

          --
          Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo@...>
          Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara KDE Project: http://www.kde.org