Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] probably stupid question of the day

  • Lukasz Stafiniak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
      On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Francois Berenger <berenger@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Why do we have to provide the type + the comparison
      > fonction when we create a set?
      >
      > Isn't the comparison function the only parameter
      > that should be needed to "specialize" a set?

      When you apply the functor, you need to specialize the type of elements
      held in a set. That's because you need to somehow connect the type of the
      elements in the set with the type accepted by your comparison function. The
      only other option would be that the comparison function is polymorphic with
      respect to elements it compares, which would be rather useless.