Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] probably stupid question of the day

  • Johan Mazel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
      Because, you may have a comparison function that do not use every element
      of the type actually operate the comparison. For example, a record with an
      index and any kind of data where you want data to be ordered by index..

      2013/6/5 Francois Berenger <berenger@...>

      > **
      >

      > Why do we have to provide the type + the comparison
      > fonction when we create a set?
      >
      > Isn't the comparison function the only parameter
      > that should be needed to "specialize" a set?

    • Lukasz Stafiniak
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2013
        On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Francois Berenger <berenger@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Why do we have to provide the type + the comparison
        > fonction when we create a set?
        >
        > Isn't the comparison function the only parameter
        > that should be needed to "specialize" a set?

        When you apply the functor, you need to specialize the type of elements
        held in a set. That's because you need to somehow connect the type of the
        elements in the set with the type accepted by your comparison function. The
        only other option would be that the comparison function is polymorphic with
        respect to elements it compares, which would be rather useless.