Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Error when compiling deriving library

  • Hendrik Boom
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17 5:53 AM
      On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 06:34:28PM +0800, Jason Yeo wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question.
      >
      > But anyway, I am trying to compile the deriving (
      > https://github.com/hnrgrgr/deriving) library on my machine but I
      > encountered this error.
      >
      > File "pa_deriving_tc.ml", line 25, characters 35-55:
      > Error: This expression has type
      > Camlp4.PreCast.Ast.ctyp -> Camlp4.PreCast.Ast.str_item
      > but an expression was expected of type
      > bool -> Camlp4.PreCast.Ast.ctyp -> Camlp4.PreCast.Ast.str_item
      > make: *** [pa_deriving_tc.cmx] Error 2
      > make: Target `all' not remade because of errors.
      >
      > I am using version 4.00.1 of ocaml.
      >
      > I have no idea what's going on here. Am I using the wrong version of ocaml
      > or camlp4?

      When I started OCaml, I got error nessages like this when I had missing
      arguments to a finction. Then it curries, giving the wrong type when
      the result is passed to something else.

      Don't know if this is happening here, though.

      -- hendrik
    • Jason Yeo
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17 7:57 AM
        On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Gabriel Scherer
        <gabriel.scherer@...> wrote:

        > Update:
        > https://github.com/jaked/deriving
        > builds fine under 4.00.1

        Thanks. I cloned https://github.com/jaked/deriving and it compiled but
        I have no idea how to install it using ocamlfind.

        Are there any documentations on using ocamlfind to install libraries
        to my system?

        Thanks!
      • Gabriel Scherer
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17 10:31 AM
          Libraries should install themselves through ocamlfind: you, as a user,
          shouldn't have any work to do to achieve that.

          In principle writing a META file for a project is rather simple, but
          here as I'm unfamiliar with the software I'll pass the bucket. Jeremy,
          Jake, Grégoire, would any of you be motivated enough to provide a META
          file and install rules for the bare deriving project?