Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] timeouts?

  • Francois Berenger
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2013
      On 02/28/2013 04:32 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
      > I have inherited a program containing:
      >
      > printf "\nrun: %s \n" c;
      > let exitcode = Sys.command c in
      > if exitcode = 0 then
      > loop cs'
      > else
      > exitcode
      >
      > Is there any way to limit the time that the command c has to run and kill it
      > if it takes too long?

      I guess Async from Janestreet would have such functionalities (I never
      used personally).

      I have seen Input/output with timeout in:
      http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/libref/ThreadUnix.html

      > -- hendrik

    • Sébastien Dailly
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2013
        Le 28/02/2013 01:58, Francois Berenger a écrit :
        > On 02/28/2013 04:32 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
        > > I have inherited a program containing:
        > >
        > > printf "\nrun: %s \n" c;
        > > let exitcode = Sys.command c in
        > > if exitcode = 0 then
        > > loop cs'
        > > else
        > > exitcode
        > >
        > > Is there any way to limit the time that the command c has to run and
        > kill it
        > > if it takes too long?
        >
        > I guess Async from Janestreet would have such functionalities (I never
        > used personally).
        >
        > I have seen Input/output with timeout in:
        > http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/libref/ThreadUnix.html

        The same discussion came recently on [1]ocaml ml, wich ended with a
        mantis [2]ticket creation.

        For sum up : there is no way for doing this in a portable way (includind
        the windows platform), so there is no evolution planned for that.

        [1] https://sympa.inria.fr/sympa/arc/caml-list/2013-01/msg00164.html
        [2] http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=5908

        --
        Sébastien