Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] something close to Perl 'x' operator in OCaml library ?

  • Sébastien Dailly
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
      Le 25/02/2013 10:01, Francois Berenger a écrit :

      >>> Come on, use OPAM (kind of aptitude for OCaml-related things) !
      >>>
      >>> That's the modern way of installing OCaml software and libraries:
      >>>
      >>> http://opam.ocamlpro.com/doc/Quick_Install.html
      >>>
      >>> You'll save yourself a lot of time and troubles.
      >>>
      >>> If you are on Debian or related, using the system-available
      >>> packages is also a smart way.
      >>>
      >> I did not succed to compile Opam nor install opam in cygwin, so I
      >> continue with plain old method wich consist of compiling the package I
      >> need manually.
      >
      > If you have the freedom to do so, why not move away from Windows
      > for your OCaml project(s)?

      This is what I did at home, but I still need Windows at work, and I'm
      not free for that…

      >> Also, Debian is not a good exemple, with the outdated ocaml version
      >> (ocaml 4 is in experimental, but all ocaml packages depedencies are
      >> stick with ocaml 3.12), outdated batteries, and no planification for
      >> updating the packages…
      >
      > But I'm quite sure OPAM compiles fine on Debian.
      > It does on Ubuntu (I installed a recent OCaml via ocamlbrew:
      > https://github.com/hcarty/ocamlbrew).

      I confirm, Opam works fine on Debian, and is definitively better than
      the debian packaging system. More generaly, for developement platform,
      it's better to not rely with the distribution packaging system : they
      install packages for the wide system and not for a specific user, you
      can't install the version you wan't and so…

      > I think there is a plan (by Sylvain Le Gall) to generate all the ocaml packages for Debian automatically some day from _oasis or OPAM package descriptions.

      I didn't know for this project. But as said above, I think that
      distribution packages are not a good solution for a developpement
      system. (But this is another discussion, and not ocaml related…)