Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] something close to Perl 'x' operator in OCaml library ?

  • Sébastien Dailly
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
      Le 25/02/2013 01:50, Francois Berenger a écrit :

      >> the library is compatible.
      >
      > Come on, use OPAM (kind of aptitude for OCaml-related things) !
      >
      > That's the modern way of installing OCaml software and libraries:
      >
      > http://opam.ocamlpro.com/doc/Quick_Install.html
      >
      > You'll save yourself a lot of time and troubles.
      >
      > If you are on Debian or related, using the system-available
      > packages is also a smart way.

      I did not succed to compile Opam nor install opam in cygwin, so I
      continue with plain old method wich consist of compiling the package I
      need manually.

      Also, Debian is not a good exemple, with the outdated ocaml version
      (ocaml 4 is in experimental, but all ocaml packages depedencies are
      stick with ocaml 3.12), outdated batteries, and no planification for
      updating the packages…
    • Francois Berenger
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
        On 02/25/2013 05:56 PM, Sébastien Dailly wrote:
        > Le 25/02/2013 01:50, Francois Berenger a écrit :
        >
        >>> the library is compatible.
        >>
        >> Come on, use OPAM (kind of aptitude for OCaml-related things) !
        >>
        >> That's the modern way of installing OCaml software and libraries:
        >>
        >> http://opam.ocamlpro.com/doc/Quick_Install.html
        >>
        >> You'll save yourself a lot of time and troubles.
        >>
        >> If you are on Debian or related, using the system-available
        >> packages is also a smart way.
        >>
        > I did not succed to compile Opam nor install opam in cygwin, so I
        > continue with plain old method wich consist of compiling the package I
        > need manually.

        If you have the freedom to do so, why not move away from Windows
        for your OCaml project(s)?

        > Also, Debian is not a good exemple, with the outdated ocaml version
        > (ocaml 4 is in experimental, but all ocaml packages depedencies are
        > stick with ocaml 3.12), outdated batteries, and no planification for
        > updating the packages…

        But I'm quite sure OPAM compiles fine on Debian.
        It does on Ubuntu (I installed a recent OCaml via ocamlbrew:
        https://github.com/hcarty/ocamlbrew).

      • Sébastien Dailly
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 25, 2013
          Le 25/02/2013 10:01, Francois Berenger a écrit :

          >>> Come on, use OPAM (kind of aptitude for OCaml-related things) !
          >>>
          >>> That's the modern way of installing OCaml software and libraries:
          >>>
          >>> http://opam.ocamlpro.com/doc/Quick_Install.html
          >>>
          >>> You'll save yourself a lot of time and troubles.
          >>>
          >>> If you are on Debian or related, using the system-available
          >>> packages is also a smart way.
          >>>
          >> I did not succed to compile Opam nor install opam in cygwin, so I
          >> continue with plain old method wich consist of compiling the package I
          >> need manually.
          >
          > If you have the freedom to do so, why not move away from Windows
          > for your OCaml project(s)?

          This is what I did at home, but I still need Windows at work, and I'm
          not free for that…

          >> Also, Debian is not a good exemple, with the outdated ocaml version
          >> (ocaml 4 is in experimental, but all ocaml packages depedencies are
          >> stick with ocaml 3.12), outdated batteries, and no planification for
          >> updating the packages…
          >
          > But I'm quite sure OPAM compiles fine on Debian.
          > It does on Ubuntu (I installed a recent OCaml via ocamlbrew:
          > https://github.com/hcarty/ocamlbrew).

          I confirm, Opam works fine on Debian, and is definitively better than
          the debian packaging system. More generaly, for developement platform,
          it's better to not rely with the distribution packaging system : they
          install packages for the wide system and not for a specific user, you
          can't install the version you wan't and so…

          > I think there is a plan (by Sylvain Le Gall) to generate all the ocaml packages for Debian automatically some day from _oasis or OPAM package descriptions.

          I didn't know for this project. But as said above, I think that
          distribution packages are not a good solution for a developpement
          system. (But this is another discussion, and not ocaml related…)