Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Some problems to install ocamlgraph module

  • Gabriel Scherer
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 27, 2012
      No, you certainly don't need a "full cygwin install"; however, being
      unfamiliar with Windows or Cygwin I wouldn't know which subset is
      necessary. Have you tried the prepackaged Windows installer (
      http://protz.github.com/ocaml-installer/ ) that has a preselection of the
      cygwin packages needed?

      The problem you have is not related to a missing dependency cygwin-side:
      ocamlgraph is trying to install libraries that uses GTK+ (a GUI toolkit)
      and rely on Gnome libraries (a unix-world desktop environment). While it
      might be possible to install those librairies on Windows (GTK+ and its
      OCaml API, certainly, libgnome possibly), I suppose you don't necessarily
      need them.

      My advice would therefore be to have a look at the configuration of
      OCamlgraph, and see if you can disable the features that depend on GTK+ or
      gnome. This would be hard if you installed a precompiled binary package,
      but as you seem to install from source that *ought to* be easy.

      On my (GNU/Linux) machine that doesn't have libgnomecanvas¹ installed,
      running "./configure" in the ocamlgraph install directory gives me the
      following output:
      [...]
      configure: WARNING: lablgnomecanvas not found: the graph editor and
      view_graph will not be compiled

      I'm then able to "make" and "make install" without any attempt to compile
      the files that fail on your machine.
      I assume the "configure" script for some reason failed to detect that these
      libraries available on your machine, and make then tries to compile them
      anyway.

      I'm not sure what the best way to fix that is; the quick hack is to edit
      the single line in the ./configure script that reads LABLGNOMECANVAS=yes,
      changing it into LABLGNOMECANVAS=no. Maybe that works.

      ¹: libgnomecanvas is the name of the C library that OCaml interfaces with;
      it must be installed through system tools and isn't provided by OCaml
      package managers. I'd forget about getting it on Windows. lablgnomecanvas
      is, I believe, the name of the associated OCaml library.

      On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Francois Berenger <berenger@...>wrote:

      > On 11/27/2012 05:37 PM, Chantal Keller wrote:
      > > Hi Denis,
      > >
      > > I never used cygwin, but you may try to install OCaml and ocamlgraph
      > > using GODI <http://godi.camlcity.org/godi/index.html>.
      >
      > Or, on a Linux computer (Ubuntu or Debian) with ocamlbrew
      > and OPAM.
      >
      > > Hope this helps,
      > > Chantal.
      > >
      > > Le 26/11/2012 23:55, Denis Setecordas a écrit :
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I have just installed OCAML 4.00 on my computer (Windows 7 / 64 bits)
      > > with, as required by Inria documentation, a cygwin environment. All
      > > seems working fine.
      > > > But.. for my personnal use I am in need to use Ocamlgraph module, so
      > > I installed the last release (found in http://ocamlgraph.lri.fr/). I
      > > encountered some problems to generate the Ocamlgraph module. In fact the
      > > last difficulty is that the makefile aborts in the linking, given the
      > > following fatal error message below.
      > > > It seems that some things lackes in the cygwin installation,
      > > labgnomecanvas-2 I suppose.
      > > >
      > > > Hence I have some questions :
      > > > 1) Is there some member of this forum, using ocamlgraph in the same
      > > configuration OCAML 4.0 / CYGWIN ?
      > > > 2) Is OCAML 4.00 in need of a complete CYGWIN installation? (very
      > > heavy (12 Giga and installing spends a lot of time).
      > > >

      > > > (In order to progress in the diag, I am going to install all CYGWIN
      > > and go back.)
      > > >
      > > > Best regards
      > > > Denis
      > > >
      > > > /cygdrive/c/OCaml/lib/ocamlgraph-1.8.2
      > > >
      > > > $ make
      > > > ocamlopt.opt -o view_graph/viewgraph.opt -I +lablgtk2 -I view_graph
      > > -I src -I lib -I . \
      > > > lablgtk.cmxa gtkInit.cmx lablgnomecanvas.cmxa unix.cmxa graph.cmxa
      > > view_graph/viewgraph.cmx
      > > > ** Fatal error: Cannot find file "libgnomecanvas-2"
      > > > File "caml_startup", line 1:
      > > > Error: Error during linking
      > > > Makefile:177: recipe for target `view_graph/viewgraph.opt' failed
      > > > make: *** [view_graph/viewgraph.opt] Error 2

    • Francois Berenger
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 27, 2012
        On 11/27/2012 05:48 PM, Chantal Keller wrote:
        > Le 27/11/2012 09:43, Francois Berenger a écrit :
        >> On 11/27/2012 05:37 PM, Chantal Keller wrote:
        >>> Hi Denis,
        >>>
        >>> I never used cygwin, but you may try to install OCaml and ocamlgraph
        >>> using GODI <http://godi.camlcity.org/godi/index.html>.
        >>
        >> Or, on a Linux computer (Ubuntu or Debian) with ocamlbrew
        >> and OPAM.
        >
        > Or using the package manager if you are root...

        Indeed, using the package manager should be the preferred
        way for beginners.
        Debian and Ubuntu have a lot of ocaml packages.

        For example this interesting one that aptitude knows about:
        libocamlgraph-ocaml-dev - graph library for OCaml

        Regards,
        F.