Ocamlbuild compilation speed

  • Johan Mazel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 19, 2012
      Hi
      I am working on a small project with 42 files located in 12 directories.
      Ocamlbuild spends aproximatively 35s before starting compilation
      through ocamlopt. The compilation itself lasts roughly 30s.
      I don't really know how ocamlbuild works but I am guessing that these
      35s are dedicated to the search of dependancies between modules.

      This processing time looks quite long long to me.
      I tried to find some documentation or tips on how to improve this. I
      found this bug report : http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4870
      and it seems to be unresolved.
      Is there any trick to solve this before the bug is fixed (if it is
      possible to fix it) ?

      Thanks fo ryour time.
      Regards.
      Johan
    • Gabriel Scherer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2012
        I don't know for the workaround, but regarding the bug report, it
        could help that you produce a reproducible test case that triggers bad
        performance behavior. If you work is not confidential, or even better
        if you can reduce it to remove most of the actual code in some way by
        still triggering those bad timings, the bugtracker would warmly
        welcome a tarball of your use case.

        On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Johan Mazel <johan.mazel@...> wrote:
        > Hi
        > I am working on a small project with 42 files located in 12 directories.
        > Ocamlbuild spends aproximatively 35s before starting compilation
        > through ocamlopt. The compilation itself lasts roughly 30s.
        > I don't really know how ocamlbuild works but I am guessing that these
        > 35s are dedicated to the search of dependancies between modules.
        >
        > This processing time looks quite long long to me.
        > I tried to find some documentation or tips on how to improve this. I
        > found this bug report : http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4870
        > and it seems to be unresolved.
        > Is there any trick to solve this before the bug is fixed (if it is
        > possible to fix it) ?
        >
        > Thanks fo ryour time.
        > Regards.
        > Johan

      • Johan Mazel
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2012
          Hi
          I actually found the cause of my problem.
          I hadn't inserted "true: traverse" at the beginning of my _tags file.
          Therefore all directories were inspected.
          Regards.
          Johan