Two questions about lex/yacc and lablgtk/gl

  • Nicolas FRANCOIS
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2012
      Hi.

      I'd like to create a 3D dynamic geometry application. I developped
      DrGeoCaml a few years ago, but it's now quite old, and my Caml practice
      is a bit rusty. So a few questions to start on the right tracks :

      1) I'd like to create a parser, with the help of ocamllex/yacc, but
      I don't find the help pages very instructive. Is there a good
      tutorial like "Ocamllex for complete numbs" ?

      2) I'd like to use lablgtk for the graphic interface, and lablgl for
      the 3D visualization. It's mentionned in lablgtk documentation that
      this can be done, but once again, i didn't find much help. Any clue ?

      Thanks for any tip.

      \bye

      --

      Nicolas FRANCOIS | /\
      http://nicolas.francois.free.fr | |__|
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2012
        Am 05.08.2012 14:06:41 schrieb(en) Nicolas FRANCOIS:
        > Hi.
        >
        > I'd like to create a 3D dynamic geometry application. I developped
        > DrGeoCaml a few years ago, but it's now quite old, and my Caml
        > practice
        > is a bit rusty. So a few questions to start on the right tracks :
        >
        > 1) I'd like to create a parser, with the help of ocamllex/yacc, but
        > I don't find the help pages very instructive. Is there a good
        > tutorial like "Ocamllex for complete numbs" ?

        I don't know of any such tutorial, but you can also watch out for a lex
        tutorial (i.e. for C), because the matching algorithm is exactly the
        same. The syntax is of course different, but I guess this is the easier
        part, and extractable from the manual (or sample code).

        Regarding ocamlyacc, consider to use Menhir instead. It includes a mode
        where grammar conflicts are explained by example, and in my experience
        this is the difficult part of developing a grammar. And it has macros,
        and other convenience features.

        Gerd

        > 2) I'd like to use lablgtk for the graphic interface, and lablgl for
        > the 3D visualization. It's mentionned in lablgtk documentation that
        > this can be done, but once again, i didn't find much help. Any clue ?
        >
        > Thanks for any tip.
        >
        > \bye
        >
        > --
        >
        > Nicolas FRANCOIS | /\
        > http://nicolas.francois.free.fr | |__|
        > X--/\\
        > We are the Micro$oft. _\_V
        > Resistance is futile.
        > You will be assimilated. darthvader penguin

        Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany gerd@...
        Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.
        Contact details: http://www.camlcity.org/contact.html
        Company homepage: http://www.gerd-stolpmann.de
      • oliver
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5, 2012
          Hello,

          On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 02:06:41PM +0200, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
          > Hi.
          >
          > I'd like to create a 3D dynamic geometry application. I developped
          > DrGeoCaml a few years ago, but it's now quite old, and my Caml practice
          > is a bit rusty. So a few questions to start on the right tracks :
          >
          > 1) I'd like to create a parser, with the help of ocamllex/yacc, but
          > I don't find the help pages very instructive. Is there a good
          > tutorial like "Ocamllex for complete numbs" ?
          [...]

          Ocamllex-Tutorial:
          http://plus.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/ocamllex-ocamlyacc/ocamllex-tutorial/

          Ocamlyacc-Tutoprial:
          http://plus.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/ocamllex-ocamlyacc/ocamlyacc-tutorial/

          Ciao,
          Oliver
        • Nicolas FRANCOIS
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2012
            Thank you everyone for your kind help.

            Clearly, everyone subscribes to both the mailing lists, so any will
            do :-)

            I'll contact you later for more help.

            \bye

            PS : The Ocamllex/yacc tutorials are great, but I can't get the pdf
            versions.