fatal error: unknown C primitive caml_expm1_float in CentOS 5.8

  • Jean Saint-Remy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31 7:42 PM
      Bonjour Mon Ami,

      I have been trying to build ocaml 3.12.1 on CentOS 5.8 running 32 bit kernel 2.6.18-308.1.1.el5
      with GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Had 4.1.2-52). The configure and the build works like a charm,

      without any errors as far as I can tell. I am using the 'make world.opt' kitchen-sink command. I have

      seen this error only with Red Hat, because I have built 3.12.1 with Debian, and Ubuntu derivatives
      without a hitch using the same Intel 32-bit Centrino architecture with later versions of GCC like 4.3
      or 4.4. When I try to run any ocaml program from CLI (which loads with #!/usr/bin/ocamlrun ocaml)
      I get this error "Fatal error: unkown C primitive caml_expm1_float." I believe that I am missing

      something in the environment, because I can successfully load the same programs in the top
      level. I tried running a strace on the process, but have been only able to determine that some low
      level library is not loading correctly, but not sure which one. The caml_expm1_float is defined in
      the Pervasives module, but duno where the C culprit comes from. I could abandon Red Hat, but

      I cannot abandon ocaml. Any suggestion will be kindly appreciated.

      With kind regards,

      Jean
    • Francois Berenger
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2012
        On 04/01/2012 11:42 AM, Jean Saint-Remy wrote:
        > Bonjour Mon Ami,
        >
        > I have been trying to build ocaml 3.12.1 on CentOS 5.8 running 32 bit
        > kernel 2.6.18-308.1.1.el5
        > with GCC 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Had 4.1.2-52). The configure and the build
        > works like a charm,
        >
        > without any errors as far as I can tell. I am using the 'make world.opt'
        > kitchen-sink command. I have
        >
        > seen this error only with Red Hat, because I have built 3.12.1 with
        > Debian, and Ubuntu derivatives
        > without a hitch using the same Intel 32-bit Centrino architecture with
        > later versions of GCC like 4.3
        > or 4.4. When I try to run any ocaml program from CLI (which loads with
        > #!/usr/bin/ocamlrun ocaml)
        > I get this error "Fatal error: unkown C primitive caml_expm1_float." I
        > believe that I am missing
        >
        > something in the environment, because I can successfully load the same
        > programs in the top
        > level. I tried running a strace on the process, but have been only able
        > to determine that some low
        > level library is not loading correctly, but not sure which one. The
        > caml_expm1_float is defined in
        > the Pervasives module, but duno where the C culprit comes from. I could
        > abandon Red Hat, but
        >
        > I cannot abandon ocaml. Any suggestion will be kindly appreciated.

        Maybe try using ocamlbrew to do the install and see if the problem persist?

        https://github.com/hcarty/ocamlbrew