Finger Tree implementation

  • Jeff Massung
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2011
      Just wondering if there's one out there already so I wouldn't have to try
      and create one? I came across some old links to one that were broken.

      Jeff M.

    • Esther Baruk
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2011

        Finger trees seem to be used in Haskell's sequences implementation. Maybe
        you can look at this code and try to adapt it in OCaml.
        You can also look at this page which contains an article about finger trees
        implementation http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~ross/papers/FingerTree.html

        Esther Baruk

        On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Jeff Massung <massung@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Just wondering if there's one out there already so I wouldn't have to try
        > and create one? I came across some old links to one that were broken.
        >
        > Jeff M.

      • Gabriel Scherer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2011
          A funny way to get a Finger Tree implementation in OCaml is to
          mechanically extract an OCaml program from the Coq code developped by
          Matthieu Sozeau:
          http://mattam.org/research/russell/fingertrees.en.html

          On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Esther Baruk <esther.baruk@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Finger trees seem to be used in Haskell's sequences implementation. Maybe
          > you can look at this code and try to adapt it in OCaml.
          > You can also look at this page which contains an article about finger trees
          > implementation http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~ross/papers/FingerTree.html
          >

          > Esther Baruk
          >

          > On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Jeff Massung <massung@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Just wondering if there's one out there already so I wouldn't have to try
          >> and create one? I came across some old links to one that were broken.
          >>
          >> Jeff M.

        • Jeff Massung
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2011
            Just wanted to let everyone know that I've gone and implemented one based on
            Haskell's Data.Sequence module. It's not a copy, but definitely "borrowed
            heavily" from the paper
            http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~ross/papers/FingerTree.pdf. I haven't had much of
            a chance to run a whole series of tests on it, but so far it appears to work
            just fine.

            It's ~200 lines and I'd be more than happy to share it with anyone who
            thinks they might have a need for it.

            Jeff M.