Emacs Ocaml mode twicking

  • Francois Berenger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hello,

      How to do if I want to tell Emacs that
      _ is a word separator for variable names
      when I am in ocaml mode?

      So that M-f or M-b allows me to move
      smartly even inside variable names?

      I think the C-mode works like this by default
      and I was a great fan.

      Thanks a lot,
      F.
    • Francois Berenger
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hello,

        Is it possible to get the type of some expression
        when coding under Emacs?

        Like displaying the type of the expression the mouse
        pointer is currently over?

        Thanks a lot,
        F.
      • Francois Berenger
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 19, 2011
          Hi,

          In fact these key bindings work correctly when using
          tuareg-mode (_ is taken as a word separator in variable names).
          Only in caml-mode they don't behave as I would like.

          I guess I will switch to tuareg-mode as my default
          Emacs mode for editing ocaml code.

          tuareg-mode is for Ocaml and caml-mode for caml?
          I wonder why there are 2 modes, by the way...

          Regards,
          F.

          On 07/01/2011 04:15 PM, Francois Berenger wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > How to do if I want to tell Emacs that
          > _ is a word separator for variable names
          > when I am in ocaml mode?
          >
          > So that M-f or M-b allows me to move
          > smartly even inside variable names?
          >
          > I think the C-mode works like this by default
          > and I was a great fan.
          >
          > Thanks a lot,
          > F.

        • Mihamina Rakotomandimby
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 20, 2011
            > On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:17:37 +0900
            > Francois Berenger <berenger@...> wrote:

            > tuareg-mode is for Ocaml and caml-mode for caml?
            > I wonder why there are 2 modes, by the way...

            What I think is the situation:
            - caml-mode: released upstream with OCaml
            - tuareg-mode: third party development

            We "should" make a popularity contest, but I think tuareg-mode is by far
            more popular and worth being included as replacement of ocaml-mode.

            --
            Mihamina de Rakotomandimby (MdR)
          • Gabriel Scherer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 20, 2011
              The situation is a bit blurred by the fact that tuareg-mode reuses parts of
              the caml-mode (eg. to display types at the program point, iirc.).

              I don't exactly see the point of judging software with a popularity context.
              I'm not sure what are the technical merits of one solution over the other;
              last time I asked I didn't got terribly convincing answers. I think the deep
              truth is that both are more or less an difficult-to-maintain mess of Elisp
              code (which is, I suppose, kind of the norm for Emacs modes; not dissimilar
              to the world of LaTeX packages), and most people don't actually care at the
              internals as long as they like the default or easily-tweakable
              configuration. So use whichever you like, that won't make much of a
              difference.