Re: Ocaml Perl

  • salmonicious
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2011
      --- In ocaml_beginners@yahoogroups.com, "francesca.lompa" <francesca.lompa@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Sorry for not answering your question.
      >

      > Since you are a Perl user as I am, I can't help advising you to check the following link :
      >
      > http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ocaml/
      >
      > It is basically a quasi-identical transcription of the perl cookbook code snippets entirely in Ocaml. It helps me a lot learn Ocaml from a Perl background.

      Great!
      Something I did not expect to exist!
      Thanx!
    • Michael Ekstrand
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2011
        On 01/10/2011 01:26 PM, salmonicious wrote:

        > OK. Checkin it out,thank you. I got a bit disappointed with the broken
        > links there.
        > My original idea is to build the app in Perl, at least the parts where
        > speed is not concern. Although at the beginning there are some parts
        > that are heavy on computation and show distinct types - eg. matrix of
        > integers, etc. Is there a way to call a caml module from Perl?

        Not that I see easily in a quick perusal of the interface for
        perl4caml. If all you want to do is implement a Perl module in OCaml,
        your better bet might be to implement the extension module in Perl's XS
        and use OCaml's C interface to embed the OCaml interpreter in your Perl
        module. That seems like a lot of work, though, and requires knowing C.

        I would just write the whole app in OCaml with lablgtk...

        - Michael