error preprocessing with camlidl

  • Alexandre Gouraud
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2011
      Hi there,

      I try to compile someone else code, and I get the following error:

      camlidl -header libstp.idl
      sh: /lib/cpp: No such file or directory
      libstp.idl: error during preprocessing

      I have never used camlidl, so I don't have any clue about what this error
      message means. Any help on where to look for (beside reading the whole
      camlidl manual) would be appreciated. Why sh is involved here, where
      /lib/cpp comes from ? (there is no such reference in libstp.idl).

      I work on one of the latest cygwin plateform.

      Best regards,

      --
      Alexandre

    • Rémi Vanicat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2011
        Alexandre Gouraud <alexandre.gouraud@...> writes:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I try to compile someone else code, and I get the following error:
        >
        > camlidl -header libstp.idl
        > sh: /lib/cpp: No such file or directory
        > libstp.idl: error during preprocessing
        >
        > I have never used camlidl, so I don't have any clue about what this error
        > message means.

        It does mean that you lack the needed cpp tools. Or that camlidl can't
        find it.

        > Any help on where to look for (beside reading the whole
        > camlidl manual) would be appreciated. Why sh is involved here, where
        > /lib/cpp comes from ? (there is no such reference in libstp.idl).

        sh is used by caml to launch some external command, and apparently (but
        not surprisingly) camlidl use the very standard c pre-processor at some
        place of its execution.

        > I work on one of the latest cygwin plateform.

        Verify that you have installed the cpp cygwin package, or the gcc cygwin
        package.

        --
        Rémi Vanicat
      • Alexandre Gouraud
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2011
          Hello Rémi,

          Thanks for your help. Actually I have cpp in my config (which cpp ->
          /usr/bin/cpp) but It is not in the /lib folder...
          I have compiled camlidl myself. Is there a way to tell him cpp is not in
          /lib but in /usr/bin ?

          Alexandre.

          ps: I have gcc as well of course (4.3.2).

          --
          Alexandre

        • Alexandre Gouraud
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2011