Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Newbie query about OCamlWin.exe

  • Nicolas Cannasse
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003
      > Hi there
      >
      > Well I have installed Objective Caml version 3.06 on Windows 98 SE. I run
      > OCamlWin.exe and I don't get a top level with three sub-windows (as the
      > Oreilly book says you should), I just get a single window entitled
      "session
      > transcript". This window works fine, but what happened to the other two
      > windows ??

      Suggestion : which Ocaml version does Oreilly book talk about ?
      I think that the OCaml toplevel for windows have been rewritten around 3.04
      (and is not so good actually...)

      Nicolas Cannasse
    • david elsdon
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2 2:35 PM
        Hi Nicolas

        Thanks for your reply.

        At 01/07/03 03:30, you wrote:
        > > Well I have installed Objective Caml version 3.06 on Windows 98 SE. I run
        > > OCamlWin.exe and I don't get a top level with three sub-windows (as the
        > > Oreilly book says you should), I just get a single window entitled
        >"session
        > > transcript". This window works fine, but what happened to the other two
        > > windows ??
        >
        >Suggestion : which Ocaml version does Oreilly book talk about ?
        >I think that the OCaml toplevel for windows have been rewritten around 3.04
        >(and is not so good actually...)

        While it is true that the Oreilly book was written for an older version of
        OCaml, even the 3.06 on-line documention describes the ocamlwin.exe
        interface as follows:

        The ``Terminal'' windows is split in two panes. Phrases are entered and
        edited Windows interface.
        An history of previously entered phrases is maintained and displayed in a
        separate window.

        It's a bit of a mystery to me !!

        Cheers

        David