Re: OCaml Beginners, consider Commercial Users of Functional Programming

  • jim_grundy2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2010
      Not such a useful term I'll admit since it can mean different things in different contexts...

      ... but, the intention is for CUFP to stand apart from other functional programming events where you will find discussion of the languages themselves: language design, type systems, compiler design, etc. The mantra of CUFP, which I think sums it up quite nicely, is "functional programming as a means, not an end".

      Its a pretty fun "end" too, but that's for other workshops.

      Kind regards

      Jim

      --- In ocaml_beginners@yahoogroups.com, Grant Rettke <grettke@...> wrote:

      > What is the definition for real-world? Is it non-academic work?
      >
      > On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:39 PM, jim_grundy2000 <Jim.Grundy@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hi All
      > >
      > > Those of you who are OCaml beginners working on commercial ... or open
      > > source ... applications might very well benefit from attending the annal
      > > Commercial Users of Functional Programming Workshop. I've attended several
      > > times and find it an invaluable opportunity for face to face networking with
      > > people who are actually applying this technology to real-world problems.
      > >
      > > Presentations on experiences with applying functional programming are
      > > needed, and the experiences of new comers to the paradigm can be
      > > particularly revealing. The presentation proposal deadline is June 15.
      > >
      > > More details can be found here: http://cufp.org/2010-call-presentations
      > >
      > > Kind regards
      > >
      > > Jim Grundy
      > >

      > --
      > http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/

    • Eray Ozkural
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2010
        Methinks a good idea.

        Many are those who think our beloved language belongs forever to the
        ivory tower of CS research as they themselves wriggle and crawl in the
        mudpit of lo-tech C derivative languages. It's time to make a stand.

        I've completely abandoned all use of C++. it is not only primitive but
        a dangerously stupid language that cost me several years of
        development time I believe. Damn you Ken and Bjarne! That's why I plan
        to employ ocaml in my future endeavors be it research or commercial.
        I've already done two real world projects in ocaml recently and I'm
        very pleased. I wish I had the opportunity to share my insight at this
        event but I'm so busy.

        Good luck and have fun!

        Cheers,

        --