getting up and running with godi and batteries

  • Martin DeMello
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
      On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Peng Zang <peng.zang@...> wrote:

      > In my opinion, the only way to use OCaml is through GODI. It makes installing
      > and using packages easy. If you haven't tried GODI, I strongly urge you to
      > give it a try. It makes a world of difference.

      Ah, the perpetual tension between the distribution's package manager
      and the language's :) Anyway, I've uninstalled ocaml and packages from
      arch and installed godi.

      Here's my new makefile:

      # -------------------------------------------------------
      RESULT = varix

      SOURCES = \
      utility.ml\
      dawg.ml bag.ml sset.ml\
      search.ml \
      debug.ml \
      ledit/cursor.ml \
      ledit/ledit.mli ledit/ledit.ml \
      varix.ml

      GODI = /home/martin/opt/godi/lib/ocaml
      LIBS = unix bigarray str pcre run_mikmatch_pcre
      PACKS = unix bigarray str mikmatch_pcre pcre batteries
      INCDIRS = $(GODI)/pkg-lib/batteries $(GODI)/std-lib/camlp5
      $(GODI)/pkg-lib/pcre $(GODI)/pkg-lib/mikmatch_pcre
      CREATE_LIB = yes
      PRE_TARGETS = ledit/pa_local.cmo ledit/pa_def.cmo
      USE_CAMLP4 = yes
      PP = ./camlp4find $(PACKS)
      export PP

      OCAMLMAKEFILE = OCamlMakefile
      include $(OCAMLMAKEFILE)
      # -------------------------------------------------------

      But now, how do I actually use batteries? If, for instance, I try to
      add extlib to LIBS it complains about the missing cmxa file (and
      indeed godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib/batteries doesn't contain any .cma or
      .cmxa files).

      Also the version of batteries shipping with godi is between beta1 and
      beta2; can I upgrade it manually or will I have to wait for the godi
      package to update?

      martin
    • Peng Zang

        I'm thrilled you installed GODI! Isn't it awesome? I run Gentoo and for a
        long time I used the ocaml packages in portage, but it just didn't have the
        breadth of packages. Also with GODI I can have several versions installed
        (for 3.09, 3.10 and 3.11).

        I think from that makefile you can already use batteries. Here is a sample
        project I threw together as a demo. (I think it works, haven't had a chance
        to test it yet) (Also my OCamlMakefile is slightly modified, just minor
        tweaks).

        Hope this helps illustrate how to use batteries.

        Peng

        On Monday 02 November 2009 01:56:48 pm Martin DeMello wrote:
        > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Peng Zang <peng.zang@...> wrote:
        > > In my opinion, the only way to use OCaml is through GODI. It makes
        > > installing and using packages easy. If you haven't tried GODI, I strongly
        > > urge you to give it a try. It makes a world of difference.
        >
        > Ah, the perpetual tension between the distribution's package manager
        > and the language's :) Anyway, I've uninstalled ocaml and packages from
        > arch and installed godi.
        >
        > Here's my new makefile:
        >
        > # -------------------------------------------------------
        > RESULT = varix
        >
        > SOURCES = \
        > utility.ml\
        > dawg.ml bag.ml sset.ml\
        > search.ml \
        > debug.ml \
        > ledit/cursor.ml \
        > ledit/ledit.mli ledit/ledit.ml \
        > varix.ml
        >
        > GODI = /home/martin/opt/godi/lib/ocaml
        > LIBS = unix bigarray str pcre run_mikmatch_pcre
        > PACKS = unix bigarray str mikmatch_pcre pcre batteries
        > INCDIRS = $(GODI)/pkg-lib/batteries $(GODI)/std-lib/camlp5
        > $(GODI)/pkg-lib/pcre $(GODI)/pkg-lib/mikmatch_pcre
        > CREATE_LIB = yes
        > PRE_TARGETS = ledit/pa_local.cmo ledit/pa_def.cmo
        > USE_CAMLP4 = yes
        > PP = ./camlp4find $(PACKS)
        > export PP
        >
        > OCAMLMAKEFILE = OCamlMakefile
        > include $(OCAMLMAKEFILE)
        > # -------------------------------------------------------
        >
        > But now, how do I actually use batteries? If, for instance, I try to
        > add extlib to LIBS it complains about the missing cmxa file (and
        > indeed godi/lib/ocaml/pkg-lib/batteries doesn't contain any .cma or
        > .cmxa files).
        >
        > Also the version of batteries shipping with godi is between beta1 and
        > beta2; can I upgrade it manually or will I have to wait for the godi
        > package to update?
        >
        > martin

      • Martin DeMello
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
          On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Peng Zang <peng.zang@...> wrote:

          > I'm thrilled you installed GODI! Isn't it awesome? I run Gentoo and for a
          > long time I used the ocaml packages in portage, but it just didn't have the
          > breadth of packages. Also with GODI I can have several versions installed
          > (for 3.09, 3.10 and 3.11).

          yeah, it looks very neat :) some packages (lablgl, lablgtk and omake)
          compiled from pacman but not from godi, but i don't need any of them
          immediately and i'm happy to take the time to figure it out.

          > I think from that makefile you can already use batteries. Here is a sample
          > project I threw together as a demo. (I think it works, haven't had a chance
          > to test it yet) (Also my OCamlMakefile is slightly modified, just minor
          > tweaks).
          >
          > Hope this helps illustrate how to use batteries.

          404 program not found :)

          martin
        • Rakotomandimby Mihamina
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009
            11/02/2009 09:56 PM, Martin DeMello:
            > Ah, the perpetual tension between the distribution's package manager
            > and the language's :)

            Distribution package management is one of the strength of Linux.

            +261 33 11 207 36