Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Does the future look good for OCaml?

  • Jon Harrop
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 10, 2009
      On Tuesday 10 March 2009 22:56:47 Tim Hanson wrote:
      > Hi Jon,
      >
      > HLVM sounds very exciting! But http://hlvm.org redirects to some
      > content delivery network - what gives? Where can we get this to try?
      > There is a post on lambda the ultimate nearly 3 years ago about this
      > .. ??
      > http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1562

      Ah yes, I stole the name of a dead HLVM project. :-)

      Our HLVM is here:

      http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/hlvm/

      Join the OCamlForge-hosted HLVM mailing if you need help or want to discuss
      it.

      I described my motivation here:

      http://flyingfrogblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/building-better-future-high-level.html

      http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e
    • Robert Roessler
      Message 58 of 58 , Mar 16, 2009
        Jon Harrop wrote:

        > On Monday 16 March 2009 20:11:09 Robert Roessler wrote:
        > > Note that the software on the above [MIT] site is NOT available under an
        > > MIT license... it is straight GPL.
        >
        > The point is that the OCaml community have a lot to learn from that
        > technology. The license is irrelevant.
        >
        > Look at the design of the Microsoft Task Parallel Library as well. That is
        > completely closed source but you can still learn a lot from it...

        Indeed... it is precisely because Cilk is so cool, and yet is not
        positioned (license-wise) so that the majority of the world's computer
        users and developers can benefit from it.

        Had the technology been uninteresting or without tremendous potential, I
        would not have commented.

        As you say, it is still possible to learn from and build upon the ideas
        from the Cilk project.

        --
        Robert Roessler