Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Does the future look good for OCaml?

  • Tim Hanson
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 10 3:56 PM
      Hi Jon,

      HLVM sounds very exciting! But http://hlvm.org redirects to some
      content delivery network - what gives? Where can we get this to try?
      There is a post on lambda the ultimate nearly 3 years ago about this
      .. ??
      http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1562

      Tim

      > Just to clarify: I was referring to the current OCaml implementation
      > maintained at INRIA.
      >
      > We have since begun an industry-funded open source project called HLVM that
      > is
      > designed to replace the core of the current OCaml implementation with one
      > that supports parallelism and (easy) interoperability with C as well as much
      > better performance for numeric and string processing.
      >
      > --
      > Dr Jon Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy Ltd.
      > http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e

    • Robert Roessler
      Message 58 of 58 , Mar 16 2:28 PM
        Jon Harrop wrote:

        > On Monday 16 March 2009 20:11:09 Robert Roessler wrote:
        > > Note that the software on the above [MIT] site is NOT available under an
        > > MIT license... it is straight GPL.
        >
        > The point is that the OCaml community have a lot to learn from that
        > technology. The license is irrelevant.
        >
        > Look at the design of the Microsoft Task Parallel Library as well. That is
        > completely closed source but you can still learn a lot from it...

        Indeed... it is precisely because Cilk is so cool, and yet is not
        positioned (license-wise) so that the majority of the world's computer
        users and developers can benefit from it.

        Had the technology been uninteresting or without tremendous potential, I
        would not have commented.

        As you say, it is still possible to learn from and build upon the ideas
        from the Cilk project.

        --
        Robert Roessler